Who has never bought a brand new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the hell makes you think I haven't worked other jobs in my life? I've been around the continent fixing other people's F*ups too. and what's with this passive aggressive BS... evidently any humor is lost here.

If V8 diesels were so great, I think you'd see them in big rigs

What the hell makes you think I haven't worked other jobs in my life? I've been around the continent fixing other people's F*ups too. and what's with this passive aggressive BS... evidently any humor is lost here.

If V8 diesels were so great, I think you'd see them in big rigs

You do see V8s in heavy rigs. The Cat 3408 is one of the best selling diesels in big rigs ever. Detroit's 8V92 was a huge hit in fire trucks and lighter tractors. The 3208 was a common fire truck engine. Cummins didn't make them, but Cummins isn't a common motor in big trucks either. Cat and Detroit are more common. The only advantage to the Cummins is the fuel economy.

The passive-agressiveness is because you're endorsing an inferior product, and can't follow simple grammar and capitalization rules. I'm not trying to be funny.

Now that I've made my point, I'm going back to Forestry and logging and some sanity.

Wasn't Cat out of the big truck game for 3 or 4 years after the tier 3 stuff?

Wasn't Cat out of the big truck game for 3 or 4 years after the tier 3 stuff?

No, they just dropped the 3408, kept the 3406C and then developed the Acert C series. Detroit's Series 60 picked up a lot of the 12L/400-450 HP market share but Cat held onto the high HP market. I really like my 625 HP C15 in the T800 with an 18 speed and a low rear end ratio for hauling my gear in the mountains.

No, they just dropped the 3408, kept the 3406C and then developed the Acert C series. Detroit's Series 60 picked up a lot of the 12L/400-450 HP market share but Cat held onto the high HP market. I really like my 625 HP C15 in the T800 with an 18 speed and a low rear end ratio for hauling my gear in the mountains.
I remember a friend that said they couldn't buy a new truck with a 500 hp Cat the year they were upgrading trucks.

If you want a penis extension that rattles and clanks its way everywhere, buy a Cummins motor. Want a truck that's comfortable and won't be an annoyance if you spend hours upon hours in it every day? That's why the 6.7 is great. And, you know, it's a Ford, which means everything outside the motor will actually hold up

So these aren't toys for insecure rednecks?
f650.jpg

I just think it's retarded that they don't offer manual transmissions for those who want them.. I'm not in a position where I can afford to buy a new truck when the warranty runs out, so I'm going to choose a vehicle I can do the work on myself. I've made my truck suit what I need it for, I can proudly say I've done it all myself, I think I've made it look good without making it bling.. it's a work truck. Dodge did have a bunch of stupid ideas too.. like the hubs.. yes, my truck has Ford front spindles and manual locking hubs on it

20150301_114158sm.jpg

Peterbilt from what I remember.

I know PACCAR only wanted to offer PACCAR branded engines around 2012, and Cat was the first to get the axe because they sold most of their 389s with C15s. I had a KW W900 with a C15 from around that time. Western Star pretty much only wants to build trucks with Detroits, which isn't a bad deal at all. The Detroits are easier on fuel but I like the power band better on the Cat motor.

I know Cat and International are partners on some engines now.

I know Cat and International are partners on some engines now.

And their vocational trucks too. Basically Cat builds the drivetrain and International builds the rest of the truck. MA Messier, a company out of Louisville KY just bought 10 of the new Cat branded dump trucks and has been running them 10-12 hours a day for a year now with the bridges projects every day, so I would venture to say they make a good rig.

Part of the reason I can't see myself ever buying a new vehicle! I can start and run my truck with no battery for as long as I want... it's kinda nice knowing you can when you're out in the bush and your alternator/battery packs it in

Oh, and Ford's 6.0 EGR cooler was soooo much better an idea

how often does your alternator pack it in? has it ever happened? just bugging you RX. i respect your opinion on the matter. better question, how many times has your mechanical pump packed it in? for the record. all EGR coolers of the 6L era were pretty bunk although ford did improve it towards the end of the run. GM's answer was the rename the engine fro LLY to LBZ although it had many many great improvements including larger volume EGR cooler. i love my emission exempt diesel as you do yours but mine ain't got no mechanical pump that's for sure. would have sold it long ago if it did. mine also has lots of balls. those old diesels were turds especially the non turbo 6.2 detroit. 6.5 wasn't that bad after it was hopped up. i think if i had to own an old diesel it would likely be a cummins. the old PSD's and detroits were down right hurt'n. i would take something with a gas guzzling big block before either though :laugh:

We remember the non-turbo ford's from the 80's.. you could smell them from a mile back.. smoke like heck and didn't move.
Now that Dodge has gone to common rail injection, and oodles of electronics, it's just a whole lot of stuff to go wrong and the differences become less and less.. I still like working on an I6 better than a V8 though.

Alternators packing it in aren't all that common.. but user stupidity like leaving your lights on does happen on occasion. Mechanical pumps packing it in.. hasn't happened yet, I did have a lift pump that wasn't producing enough pressure, but you'd only notice it if you ran it out of fuel as it wouldn't prime. If someone wants to talk about a noisy engine, well, I can't hear them over the sound of the detroit diesel in this cement truck a mile away... those were seriously noisy.

I'm working on a VGT turbo for my truck right now, should have it installed in a couple months, and after that I'll take it in to BD diesel and see what flogging it on the dyno does for the numbers.. I should be somewhere in the 350 hp/750 ft lb range.. give or take

I used to be a chevy guy, and for V8 gassers I still am.. my dad's old truck is a '80 1 ton, 454 on propane, it's done a lot of work, and with the big block you don't notice the power loss of propane as much as on a smaller engine

The cp3 on these new trucks is close to a mechanical pump. It has the FCA on it for fuel flow to the rail. The injectors have more electronics in them. I still like the mechanical pump and injectors myself for ease of working on and not having to worry about them dying. The P7100 is the most expensive injection pump to buy if it ever does take a dump on you. Some of the big time truck and tractor pullers pay $10-15k for a pump. The electronic engines are getting closer but can't match the all out performance of the mechanicals. There was a guy in Wisconsin with a p pumped duramax puller.

don't know where your getting all this performance is better out of the mechanical **** man LOL they done away with them for a reason. sure it's really gay when an electronic pump goes but they are far more reliable then a mechanical pump. only ones i ever seen go really were run dry.

I don't know that I have ever seen the mechanical pump go on a Cummins unless something besides diesel was run through it ( i.e. waste oil, kerosene, peanut oil, etc...) I will agree that on big truck engines the 3408 Cat was probably the ultimate LoBoy engine but it is too greedy on fuel. I am a Detroit fan myself, and while the 60 Series is an awesome engine, I have a soft spot for the old screamin' demons. Ultimate dump truck is a L9000 Ford with a 671 inline, 13 speed, crane carrier rears and Hendrickson, a man can earn money with that truck. Another awesome engine is the Cummins 290, common rail but all mechanical, they are bullet proof. The Formula 400 is a great engine too but it is like the 3408 Cat, too greedy.

Joe

The biggest benefit of electronic injection is ease of tuning... timing maps can be anything you want, multiple pulses for quiet running.

Running pumps dry is a a dumb thing to do, but it happens... P pumps are some of the most tolerant to it as all the governor running gear is lubed by engine oil, and they don't have fast moving parts lubed by fuel... Rotary pumps on the other hand, mechanical or electronic have no engine oil for lube, and fast moving parts lubed by fuel only, so if they're revved while dry, it's insta-fry... Our JD350B crawler snapped the pump input shaft on it's Roosa-master.

a really boring video to watch is tractor puller Zona Verde starting up his machine... 10 minutes of continuous cranking (I don't know what kind of starter was on that thing!)... but if finally started, and it won with a full pull

I've owned many mechanical 5.9's and have never had a pump problem. The strongest one I ever had was a 98 12 valve that was 800 lb of tourqe 23 mile a gallon beast, wish I had that one back. Almost everyone I know with a 24 valve has put a pump on them.

Latest posts

Back