Who sells their wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advertising that small slab pack in the local on-line classifieds resulted in some interesting and frustrating responses - but I guess that's business and it's something I'm not really suited to.
More than 250 people viewed the advertisement over a period of about a week before I heard anything, and then I received about a dozen calls in the space of ~ 3 days.
Most of the responses were looking for a bargain i.e offering half the advertised price.
One sent me an email asking me what sort of wood it was?
Two callers said they would come around and have a look at the slabs but didn't turn up.
One caller wanted to sell me a log - I told him I have free logs coming out of my ears.
Another caller wanted some milling done on 2 logs in his suburban back yard. This came to nothing because when I told him my $ rates.

I've was going to advertise the following BSM blade testing pack for sale but instead I decided to call a mate of mine who makes cutting boards, knife handles and platters and he bought it based on the photos.
This is Western Australian Sheoak - these slabs have lots of cracks, some holes and patches of rot but be is able to include and fill or cut around these.
Slabs1.jpg
Slabspack.jpg

That sounds like a really good service if you are getting that many views--and a good waste of time when people don't show. I have good luck selling firewood, but people also want it or they will be sitting in a cold house.

That sounds like a really good service if you are getting that many views--and a good waste of time when people don't show. I have good luck selling firewood, but people also want it or they will be sitting in a cold house.

It is a good service and I have used it to sell/buy/give away stuff.
There's no charge for basic adds and you only pay to push your add up the priority list which I never bother about.
Lots of tyre kickers though and anything advertised for free brings out a load of maggots!!!!

One time I had a POS, dirty 35 year old workbench made out of an old steel bed frame with a 2" thick hardwood top. I was going to just put it out on the kerb for our biannual hard garbage collection but I decided to advertise it for free on these classifieds. I had about 20 phone calls in the first 24 hours - I won't go into the details of the calls except that several callers spun a sob story wanting me to deliver it to them.

In the end I changed my phone answering machine to say "It's on the front verge - whoever comes and picks it up can have it. The guy that picked it up had an immaculate BMW 4WD and accompanying business suit. The bench was dirty and it was fun to watch the guy squirm as it made a mess of his upholstery and suit. When I asked him what he was going to do with it he blushed and said his wife ran an antique store and was "in the marked for antique items". I just about fell over laughing. I wish I had the sense to ask for the address of the store to go see what they were going to sell it for.

I want the Slab w the Rifle! You can leave Rifle if you want. Is that an old Savage 99? Prolly some 99 collector out there w Chainsaw Mill sit'in in the Barn that would trade off depending on make, model and condition of Rifle? Just say'in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's an old 99. It's a first year of production 22 Savage Hi-Power, model H take down with a Malcolm 3X scope, made in 1912. I got a letter from the Savage historian. According to the sales records it was originally sold to the Malcolm Rifle Telescope Company, Joe.

IMG_20150407_105936_zpsodsofroa.jpg

I've been selling 12/4 slabs of Maple, Oak, Catalpa, Sycamore, Ash, Rock Elm and Black Walnut since February for $100 per, ranging from 24"-32" in width, upwards of 37.5" ( max width for my Chainsaw Mill ), and 10 feet long. Average prices around here seem to be about $350+ for comparable, but those guys are selling either kiln dried or 3-4 year air dried/barn sticked...so I've been busy. Except for the Rock Elm, everything was cut dead standing, so it was pretty dry to begin with.

Currently running a 42" Oregon bar (drilled for mounting to the sawmill rig ), 10 degree semi chisel Woodland pro chains (3/8", .063 135 drive link) and use a Harbor Freight $39 electric sharpener. Current powerhead is a Husqvarna 268, second owner, with a ported muffler, running 93 octane at a 40:1 mix. I've taken the saw apart, deglazed the cylinder and cleaned/reassembled/rebuilt from the crank up.

I just did an upgrade on a Makita 6401 to an 84cc beast (the Dolmar 7900 big bore), with one of those Nikasil kits. I'm making a custom variable flow porting on the muffler ( need to tune the carb to the higher demand for fuel/air, might as well be able to tune the exhaust as well. Adding random holes, or sticking to the 80% rule doesn't leave any room for fudge ), and once it's broken in, I'll swap it out as the powerhead so I can do a Nikasil big bore upgrade to the Husqvarna essentially making it a 272xp (I think) with a new carb, and a similar custom variable ported muffler.

I've only been milling since February, and never owned a chainsaw prior. Nor rebuilt one. I'm on my 5th rebuild ( priors were Stihl and Poulans ).

Will be moving to South America next year, and setting up a proper mill for lumbers to build the house, forge/kiln and furniture.

Thanks! Quite proud of it. $47 in lumber and plumbing parts/hardware. $105, 42" bar and a $28 chain at 30 degrees. I started off renting Makita 6421's from Home Depot, but their repair and maintenance policies are abysmal, so I only used them long enough until I had saved up for my own powerhead. I had to call Oregon to find out where would be the best place as high north on the bar to drill though (replaceable sprocket tip).

Back