Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Who wants some NZ timber turning blanks?

Discussion in 'Wood Carving & Turning' started by KiwiBro, Jun 16, 2017.

1. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Am not sure how we could go about doing this (pyhtosanitary requirements, etc of exporting/importing timbers) but NZ does have some quite lovely native timbers that I'm sure other woodworkers around the world would appreciate also.

I've got quite a few blocks of quite lovely timber here at the mo', so if anyone is interested, please let me know. I'm thinking, but certainly not limited to, pen blanks might be a good, easy start to learn if we are allowed to send this stuff out of the country.

If anyone is interested, you could google images of timbers like Rimu, Kauri, Totara, Matai, Pohutukawa, Puriri. I have these in my racks looking for special projects.

Here's some figured Rimu, for example:
    RimuFigure.jpg

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. Jim Timber

Jim Timber 1/4 bubble off

That'd make lovely pistol grips, or a rifle stock.

3. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Sure would. If only the blocks were long enough. Alas, they are just small bits.

SeMoTony likes this.
  4. SeMoTony

SeMoTony Addicted to ArboristSite

Lovely figure. Reminds me of "waterfall bubinga" from africa, $20 range per b/ft in large table size slabs. The logs that are exported to europe are around 6 foot or more diameter. The size is what makes the phyhtosanitary economical IMHO. The price is from what I recall from a couple years ago when I thought I''d have a large enough room to make one of those 14 foot long by 4 foot wide tables to show off.:ices_rofl: I've gotten over that sillyness. That you for showing something I would not know of other wise:clap: