Whoaa.....Something's wrong???!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so I've used ethanol fuel in my saws for a long time. Since my stable has grown and so have my cc's, I figured that I would get some non-ethanol fuel to give to my lesser used saws to save some internal rubber parts. I was in Lowes the other day, went in there for my Dremel, and I saw some Husqvarna non-ethanol fuel in the quart container. Look at it, 93 octane, same as I use, and figure I'll buy it to put in my big saws that I don't use that often. Put it my 066 and it ran real rich. To the point of stalling out the engine. Now I have got my saws tuned very well, I think, and this was kind of unexpected. So I grab my screwdriver and I tune it to where I think it should be. Now, it didn't take that long, but it sure ate up some fuel. So I was thinking it might have been out of tune. So today I put it in my 460, and the same damn thing happens. This time I know it's not the tune because I was just cutting with it and it ran like a raped ape. I couldn't even get it to tack above 9,500 and that's with the high screw all the way turned in. I don't know what to think. Bad fuel? I know that people run their saws on non-ethanol fuel, but this has got me worried. What the f$&@ is going on? Anybody?

so I've used ethanol fuel in my saws for a long time. Since my stable has grown and so have my cc's, I figured that I would get some non-ethanol fuel to give to my lesser used saws to save some internal rubber parts. I was in Lowes the other day, went in there for my Dremel, and I saw some Husqvarna non-ethanol fuel in the quart container. Look at it, 93 octane, same as I use, and figure I'll buy it to put in my big saws that I don't use that often. Put it my 066 and it ran real rich. To the point of stalling out the engine. Now I have got my saws tuned very well, I think, and this was kind of unexpected. So I grab my screwdriver and I tune it to where I think it should be. Now, it didn't take that long, but it sure ate up some fuel. So I was thinking it might have been out of tune. So today I put it in my 460, and the same damn thing happens. This time I know it's not the tune because I was just cutting with it and it ran like a raped ape. I couldn't even get it to tack above 9,500 and that's with the high screw all the way turned in. I don't know what to think. Bad fuel? I know that people run their saws on non-ethanol fuel, but this has got me worried. What the f$&@ is going on? Anybody?
Sounds bad to me forget about it. I use VP in 5 gallon cans 94 octane.

Doesn't make sense. You may have got some bad fuel. Was it sealed properly when you took the top off? I got a few boxes of tru-fuel and was told to make sure it was sealed properly when I took off the cap. I guess it is a known problem. I opened one can that was not sealed and some of the gas had evaporated out of the can. I dumped it in the rider mower.

I doubt it has anything to do with ethanol vs. non-ethanol.

Well Lonewolf and Hinerman, I guess it was bad fuel. The 066 I put the non-ethanol fuel in and played with the carb so now she's pulling just shy of 13 and 4 stroking good. The 460 took a lot more. Pulled the plug and it looked like tar. Replaced plug and messed with it for a little while and now she is good. It really messed with my head. I'm going back to lowes over the weekend and have a talk with the manager, not that that will do any good. But it's a lesson learned. The station I bought the fuel from goes through a lot, so I know it's fresh. The Husqvarna fuel is now killing weeds!

Well Lonewolf and Hinerman, I guess it was bad fuel. The 066 I put the non-ethanol fuel in and played with the carb so now she's pulling just shy of 13 and 4 stroking good. The 460 took a lot more. Pulled the plug and it looked like tar. Replaced plug and messed with it for a little while and now she is good. It really messed with my head. I'm going back to lowes over the weekend and have a talk with the manager, not that that will do any good. But it's a lesson learned. The station I bought the fuel from goes through a lot, so I know it's fresh. The Husqvarna fuel is now killing weeds!

You got lucky it didn't get hot enough to solidify and score the crap out of your piston.

Why is that? :surprised3:

No where on the can does it state anything about the need to re-tune OPE.
Higher octane. I only run 87 pump gas or VP 94. There's as much as a 1/4 turn on the H and some on the L to get them to run right. Seen 2500 rpm drop from pump gas to the VP.

But I was basically going from 93 ethanol fuel to 93 non ethanol fuel. Not that much a difference I suppose but then again I'm not a chemist. Tuning a little bit, yeah, a lot: red flag. I'm not worried about the tuning, just how much I had to tune. When you get your H in all the way and it's still blubbering, you might get a little flustered! Chainsaw Jim - yeah, I'm real happy that it didn't do more damage then it did. I couldn't be sure because I really didn't pay it all that much mind, but Hinerman could be right on. Maybe someone did tamper with it. It wasn't full like I expected anyway. It had a happy ending and that's all I can ask for. I will put the 91.5 non ethanol in another saw and see if it changes tune any. I can't judge it off my 066 or 460 though!!!

I don't know, but sitting here thinking about it it seems like going to a higher octane gas you would have to richen it up while going to a lower octane you would have to lean it out some. Going to the same octane i assume you wouldn't have to do a thing. I'm not schooled in this area though.

I have run the Motomix, then run 94 0 ethanol and 0 issues. We sell the OPE and you have the option to have either 50:1 premium non E fuel or Motomix in your new machine and I can tell you I start up so many new saws, blowers, trimmers and quickcuts that they all sound the same when they fire up and idle correctly with the tach . 1 thing interesting I have found is that other than the Motomix none of these fuel makes stand behind their products. I posted before about Trufuel causing carb issues and the customer was left out in the cold by them. OP contact Husqvarna and see what they will do for you. Can't hurt.

Higher octane. I only run 87 pump gas or VP 94. There's as much as a 1/4 turn on the H and some on the L to get them to run right. Seen 2500 rpm drop from pump gas to the VP.

I run 91 from the pump, trufuel is 92 so I don't notice a difference. I run pump gas through my saws 99% of the time anyway. I use the tru-fuel in my yard equipment.

Latest posts

Back