Why do people still buy stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STIHL are shite, mang. Can't hardly get any work done with them.

157830679.24LQlg6P.jpg

158340399.GSihbSgE.jpg

158973628.d7edNOfV.jpg

158973933.X7BNqonk.jpg

159340544.udxz8kZN.jpg

161127244.cMCZyLyd.jpg

STIHL are shite, mang. Can't hardly get any work done with them.

157830679.24LQlg6P.jpg

158340399.GSihbSgE.jpg

158973628.d7edNOfV.jpg

158973933.X7BNqonk.jpg

159340544.udxz8kZN.jpg

161127244.cMCZyLyd.jpg

Those are awesome pics! The last one reminds me of a mountain trout stream, but made instead of freshly cut logs.

Stihl vs Husky?

Everyone I know owns Stihl. They work well and seem to be the most used saw by a landslide. These are farmers, ranchers or just land owners. Most own a saw or possibly two, but one friend (a rancher) has 5 saws that he uses regularly. I own one Husky 372, so I am the lone exception among all my friends, acquaintances or relatives.

There are 3 Husky dealers within an hour's drive of here. None are Husky exclusive and none of them have much Husky inventory on the shelves. My closest dealer has a single 550xp and that's it, stocking Echo instead. None of these dealers have the equipment to test the newer computerized saws. I've asked.

In contrast, the local Stihl dealers within an hour's drive are all very well stocked and are full service. One of them is also a Husky dealer, but they only carry a small smattering of Husky equipment. He claims they simply don't sell as well as Stihl, so they cut back drastically on inventory.

My experiences using Stihl service have been very positive. My experiences with Husky service have been mediocre. Husqvarna needs to seriously invest in improving their dealer network.

Same way defective fuel caps get by quality control "just sayin" By the way 30 year operator here son:rolleyes:
I don't think they're defective when they leave the factory, it's just that passion fingers are very unique at finding something that can be jammed in the wrong way & stuffing something in an instant, I ought to know, I've got 10 of them!
Fansk

I have never had a problem with a flippy cap. If I had designed them, they would drop down every 1/3 turn, instead of just once every full turn, but once you understand them, they are not too hard to figure out IMO. One saw is full flippy, two are 1/2 flippy, and one is non flippy. They are all good with me.

I have never had a problem with a flippy cap. If I had designed them, they would drop down every 1/3 turn, instead of just once every full turn, but once you understand them, they are not too hard to figure out IMO. One saw is full flippy, two are 1/2 flippy, and one is non flippy. They are all good with me.

You better knock on wood! I never had a problem with flippys until I did.

Fortunately It's a quick fix. I think my dealer must replace a bunch of them as he keeps a box full under the counter.

In contrast, the local Stihl dealers within an hour's drive are all very well stocked and are full service. One of them is also a Husky dealer, but they only carry a small smattering of Husky equipment. He claims they simply don't sell as well as Stihl, so they cut back drastically on inventory.

Cause AND effect? you're not going to sell something you don't stock.

Same way defective fuel caps get by quality control "just sayin" By the way 30 year operator here son:rolleyes:
You still have that MS200T broken there? Send it to me and I will get it running for you no labor charge. I have some spare parts was it the crank or something?

Cause AND effect? you're not going to sell something you don't stock.

That would only be true if they never carried much Husqvarna stock. That Stihl/Husky dealer is a big outfit with a huge inventory (tractors, lawn equipment various other power equipment, rentals etc...). Their Husky display is a rustic log wall with hanging pegs that used to be festooned with saws. Almost like something you'd see in a shoe store, but with saws. It was pretty cool. Not just home owner grade stuff either. I was over that way a month or so back when I was considering trading down to a 60cc saw and he only had a couple of Husky saws and some leaf blowers. His Stihl shelves were still well stocked, which is why I asked what was going on with his Husky inventory. These visits were probably a year and a half apart.

IM me if you want the dealer's name and y'all can verify for yourself what he has in stock. Don't want to trash the place publicly.

I don't need to know what dealer it is.
the OPE store here has about 8 stihl saws and a trimmer... carries a full lineup of husky lawn tractors though.

I think husky made a mistake going into lawn care stuff with machines they contract built, that are of exactly the same quality as every other brand of garden tractor because they're probably all made at the same plant. When they built the Yugoslavian Tomos saws, I couldn't tell *any* difference between them and the swedish built ones.. that's the way it ought to be! A lot of companies that have too many different lines of products start to suffer by not giving some (or all) of the lines the proper engineering and quality control. Stihl has kept themselves concentrated to chainsaws with few other things, and I think that is good. Husky, well, what does a sewing machine, chainsaw, and a briggs powered garden tractor have in common?

You dont have some dummies for helpers do you?

The only reason I'm going to stihl is because of dealer support and parts availability i have 1 husqvarna dealer and 4 stihl dealers.

Damn, that's a lot of competition! 4 dealers? You must live in logging country.

the husq dealer is 1 week for anything and most of the time he is out of little stuff like files and chain.
Little stuff like chain should be a dealer's bread and butter. That dealer sucks IMO.

The stihl dealer works with me because he is for the customer on the other hand the husq dealer is for the dollar he just wants to squeeze as much money as he can out of you.
Yup, sucks.

But for me it is more about the dealer than the product i could care less if it cuts slower weights a 1/2 lb more and it doesn't have a outboard clutch.
I'm off my soap box.
Perfect reason. And I am ok with that. It doesn't mean Stihl's are better saws. It just means you have more/better Stihl dealers to support your tools.

Haha typical and predictable westcoater90 husky fanboy crap! most guys on AS even the noobs he hates so much get it! they even get what he runs in his soft wood works for him and is the setup to run in that kind of timber.... Not fanboy hell no! not him if you don't run the same setup and cc saw as him your a **** and dont know what your doing! LOL.... Not all wood is the same around the world some wood around the world is like 10 times harder than the balsa wood he cuts yeah for real crazy talk I know! lol

I like the westcoater90's pet peeve he don't like it when someone runs a 20in bar on a 90cc saw LOL ,all the silly **** is telling the world is what's hardwood? haha.
Who is this mighty legend of a man westcoater90 dude? has anyone ever met the **** can we be sure he's not just some 14 year old kid? he sure sounds about that age?

Why do people run a 90cc saw with a 20in bar westcoater90?.. Guess I will have to answer this for him the poor bugger is clueless and all!....K to get **** done done in a timely fashion in hardwood a 60cc /70cc saw will not get the same job done as fast as a 90cc+ saw in hardwood when time is against you K get it? nah I didn't think he would haha....

I don't know Westcoaster90, and I'm not defending him, but I do want to say that I've lived on the east coast my whole life and I'm surrounded by hardwoods. I've cut hickory, oak, ash, maple, walnut, and know what hard wood in the US is like. I've worked in a firewood cutting crew when I was younger and dealt with plenty of tree services, and there plain just aren't many people I've met cutting daily with 90cc saws period, let alone with 20" bars on them. I'm not saying the saws don't exist over here, they just aren't the saw that most people use all day long, more like the one that comes out when it is needed. Plus, I'm not certain that a 90cc saw would be faster than a 70cc in less than 20" wood. The 90cc might have more torque to keep chain speed up, but the 70cc has a faster chain speed anyway.

And unlike the loggers of the PNW, the cutters on the east coast aren't really loggers, and don't really have a paycheck that depends on how many board feet of timber they cut a day, and don't really have "time against them" to get **** done.

But hey, if you want to haul around a 90cc saw all day, I won't stop you. Plenty of ways to skin a cat and if it works for you more power to you.

There's still plenty of guys out east that make a living by dropping trees with a chainsaw. Just not as many as there used to be. And very few (but some) cut southern yellow pine with chainsaws compared to mechanical harvesting. The loggers that I know of that use saws for felling hardwoods use the Stihl MS460 and MS660.

There's still plenty of guys out east that make a living by dropping trees with a chainsaw. Just not as many as there used to be. And very few (but some) cut southern yellow pine with chainsaws compared to mechanical harvesting. The loggers that I know of that use saws for felling hardwoods use the Stihl MS460 and MS660.

Where are these east coast hardwood loggers? PA? VT? NH? ME? I reckon there are unicorns around here too, but I haven't seen any. Besides being referenced on here.

7000ce8c02351a1f4254efb2cce85056.jpg

Rogue's just mad because of some hate I posted towards his cracker ass in the past. If only that clown thought with his head rather then his ass. If he didn't notice too my post was quoting someone in the opposite of what they said. I couldn't give a **** less what anybody runs. He obviously felt he was part of a specific group I mentioned. Maybe the ones that think they can but can't file a chain? Maybe the ones that think they can but can't tune a saw? Maybe both? Never seen him post anything valuable on the forum. Either way. The things I talk about do exist and I don't expect everyone to like it. Just so you know to clown, like kenjax; I make comments but I run both brands. As Clint said sarcastically as well, as far as AS knows, the west coast doesn't have hardwoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back