Why do people still buy stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think they're defective when they leave the factory, it's just that passion fingers are very unique at finding something that can be jammed in the wrong way & stuffing something in an instant, I ought to know, I've got 10 of them!
Fansk
they were a defective idea to cure people with over tightening a simple cap. Imo it would of served our industy better if they were fired instead of pushing useless trinkets to the seasoned saw operator. Just like our fuel cans the old square can with the metal flex spout was perfect until idiots could not flip a simple vent i could go on and on.

I can only tell why I bought a Stihl saw.

I bought a Stihl saw because to the casual user, non-obsessive, non-fanatic like me, brand value is hugely influential. I see people whose opinions I value using Stihls, I spent some time working with a forest service, they used them. They have a good reputation, so I bought one.

Go on any internet forum (chainsaws, god knows guns are about the worst, cars, motorcycles, even stuff like tractors and lawn equipment), there are people who obsess over every possible detail, who have voluminous knowledge of all varieties and brands. To them, buying the Bizarro-Supro-Quong Model XR15000 (that is only imported through one guy in Ottumwa, IA) might be a suitable choice because of a bunch of academic theoretical horseshit that doesn't matter to me (a guy who just wants to use a chainsaw).

This is not to say that I'm 'brand loyal' to Stihl. Quite to the contrary, brand loyalty is a hallmark of stupidity. So is the old saying "you get what you pay for". There is no surer way to fleece idiots than to charge them more money for something they could get for less elsewhere, but they believe that paying more means they're getting more. You don't 'get what you pay for'. You buy what you pay for. You get what you deserve. (As someone who has imported and branded products for resale, I've made my living off the old Mark Twain saying "Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled...")

For me, a Stihl was a good choice. Even took my research a bit deeper than the typical casual buyer and looked into models that were known for having unusually long service lives (an 026 was suggested, that is what I got. An old used one). Maybe there is something 'theoretically better' and if this 026 fails I'll definitely explore those options but the reason I (as a saw layperson) bought a Stihl is because in a chainsaw, I didn't want to be a pioneer or a brand ideologue. I just wanted something that ran forever and but the hell out of wood. So far, so good.

I've got a question or three, and this is something that I find extremely annoying as a saw owner and user

Both Stihl and husky had problems in Australia with dust ingress through the filter and engine damage because of it. Stihl designed the hd2, it wasn't great at first but they improved it till it functioned properly. Problem solved
Husky did nothing as far as I know, they'll sell you filter oil(if you ask for it) though it can be hard to find(???) but the filters didn't change

how can that possibly be the customers problem?

Husky have a reputation for losing bolts and screws together with all the bits they're holding in place, husky know about this (or they bloody well should) so why is it up to me to strip a new saw and stud lock all the fixings?

Again, why is that the customers problem?

Before I get accused of being a stihl fanboi, here's my own personal climbing saw in use today, 357xp 16" 36RM, cracking saw and much better than a 362. And yes, the chips are small and dustyIMG_20150831_101758.jpg

Endless question here. I like both brands, Stihl built a lot of great saw (020/MS200t, 026, 034, 036, MS361, 044, 046, 461, 066, 661, 088, 090, and the greatest, the 064 of course!)

Actually, the Husky lineup is better (just my humble opinion), some saws are hard to beat (346, 550, 560/562, 372, 395, etc)

Just buy what you like!

Endless question here. I like both brands, Stihl built a lot of great saw (020/MS200t, 026, 034, 036, MS361, 044, 046, 461, 066, 661, 088, 090, and the greatest, the 064 of course!)

Actually, the Husky lineup is better (just my humble opinion), some saws are hard to beat (346, 550, 560/563, 372, 395, etc)

Just buy what you like!
Ohhhh yes a 372xp, what a great saw they are [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are these east coast hardwood loggers? PA? VT? NH? ME? I reckon there are unicorns around here too, but I haven't seen any. Besides being referenced on here.

7000ce8c02351a1f4254efb2cce85056.jpg

I have seen no unicorns either .

I've got a question or three, and this is something that I find extremely annoying as a saw owner and user

Both Stihl and husky had problems in Australia with dust ingress through the filter and engine damage because of it. Stihl designed the hd2, it wasn't great at first but they improved it till it functioned properly. Problem solved
Husky did nothing as far as I know, they'll sell you filter oil(if you ask for it) though it can be hard to find(???) but the filters didn't change

how can that possibly be the customers problem?

Husky have a reputation for losing bolts and screws together with all the bits they're holding in place, husky know about this (or they bloody well should) so why is it up to me to strip a new saw and stud lock all the fixings?

Again, why is that the customers problem?

Before I get accused of being a stihl fanboi, here's my own personal climbing saw in use today, 357xp 16" 36RM, cracking saw and much better than a 362. And yes, the chips are small and dustyView attachment 444219

yer no stihl fanboy, i totally agree with ya bud. it is annoying how a guy HAS to go over a husky just so bolts won't come out. it's just something a guy has to deal with if he prefers the husky for his work. i for one can't use many stihls although the newer ones are feeling a bit better to me and i may give them a go soon. with the huskies i loctite the inside dawg on, the coil bolts, and the air injection tube bolt. with the muffler i just use a solid wrench to get a good torque on them rather then a t wrench that twists. the support bracket bolts are a bad one as well. dab of loctite on those 4 when new and they never come out. after i do these things i don't have any problems with bolts coming out on me ever. is that the 357 the one you got from me? heck, sure is good to see it earning it's keep. :) has any bolts come out of that one? they shouldn't have as they never for me. can't remember if i loctite anything on that saw though.

I'm sure they have an assortment of them down on Christopher St in NYC.

Was taking my step sons to a half pike skating thing one time and a parade breaks out in front of us, you would have thought the circus was in town, except the circus could not compare to this! The wife and I wanted to cover their eyes, except they were teenagers already!

is that the 357 the one you got from me? heck, sure is good to see it earning it's keep. :) has any bolts come out of that one? they shouldn't have as they never for me. can't remember if i loctite anything on that saw though.
Yeah, it's the one from you, Shane, great saw. I've been keeping an eye on it and it's been fine, I look after my stuff and don't let it out of my sight :)
The work saws though get used hard and put away wet

Back