Why do west coast loggers fell timber the way the do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trees2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
To start with, NO disrespect just questions. In most pics I see,the corners are never cut off therefore the pull.Also I see alot of center pull. Why don't they use a steeper face notch to let the tree stay on the stump longer?

To start with, NO disrespect just questions. In most pics I see,the corners are never cut off therefore the pull.Also I see alot of center pull. Why don't they use a steeper face notch to let the tree stay on the stump longer?

I think I'll have another cup of coffee before I answer this one. ;)

Never heard of anyone felling timber on the west coast. But seriously, what is up with those fellers?

:hmm3grin2orange::ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

scan0007.jpg

Wow look at that .that thing is like balanced on the face.

Regional differences. Different timber. dropping cylinders instead of mushrooms. Hardwood fiber vs softwood fiber.

Lots of reasons.

Wow look at that .that thing is like balanced on the face.

Regional differences. Different timber. dropping cylinders instead of mushrooms. Hardwood fiber vs softwood fiber.

Lots of reasons.

Saftey first always, but why the high stumps? Back east I dig around the stump to cut it as low as I can on High grade oak. Of course there is a HUGE differance in the tally at the end of the day . Around here if you chop 10,000 bf INT rule a day you have done good. Average dbh on hardwood is 20" Good white pine will average 800 - 1200 bf per tree.

Humboldts leave square buts , no need need to buck twice.
Humboldts work for every occasion , from swinging a tree up hill (dutchman) to throwing a swanson to steer the butt , changing the angle of the under cut to create stump jump .

We dont do 13 different cuts boring into every where blowing tips up and digging around stumps , we do whats been working on the coast forever and keeps us safe .

Just my .02.;)

The humboldt is largely the reason for "high stumps" although we try to cut as low as possible. There is also the swell butt issue the bottom foot or so of a tree is considerably larger than the rest of it and it makes loading the trucks and skidding em out kind of a pain. Then the other reason for tall stumps is a matter of perspective, most of the cutting around here is done on steep ground and the camera does not really convey that to the viewer one side of the stump could be 6" tall the other 6'. As far as digging down to get the most out of a log who has time for that? Just put em on the ground and move on...besides I haven't used a chainsaw as a shovel in years...:biggrin:

The fellers who are fallers usually have to follow contract requirements for stump heights. In the days when old growth was hitting the ground, it was 12 inches or 1/3 the diameter. Now it is a 12 inch maximum stump height measured on the high side of the stump in some parts of the country.

On ground like this, and we do have steeper, stumps may be more than 12 inches on the lower side.

251838d1347053016-hoody0001-jpg

View attachment 251838

Last edited:
High stumps? I was taught that way and I have cut lower, not often though, left monuments all over.
Sometimes a high stump has a purpose and sometimes it is just a high stump.
scan0001-1.jpg

scan0001.jpg

trees2

Sometimes a high stump and some fibre pull is just part of the deal. Terrain, obstacles, lean, wind...all play a part in how we lay things out.

Sometimes just getting the tree on the ground safely is the main concern. We can pretty it up later.

I could have chased the hinge a little more and had less fibre pull but what the camera doesn't show is a big limb in another tree, that I was watching, that my tree hit as it started over, and fell just where I'd have been standing if I'd waited another couple of seconds

[video]http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv277/gologit/video/?action=view&current=PB131871.mp4[/video]

Back