Why is my saw cutting crooked?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so sure about any of this. I have a brand new bar and chain and I still cut to the right. Every darn piece. I think it is how I hold the saw. I can cut straight if I really pay attention but when I'm in the thick of a giant Maple top that has been sitting on the forest floor for two years with briars trying to pluck out my eyes I just hammer down and let the chips fly. My hydraulic splitter doesn't mind if the ends are a bit sloped.
I've been on AS for a bit now and haven't seen a thread on proper cutting technique yet. (mind you I haven't searched for one either)
In fact I noodled a big son of a gun today and when I finished it off it looked like a banana.
I probably just suck buy really I'm having a darn good time.
My point is:
It's not always the machine, especially in my case!

Hmmm....I don't think I could 'steer' my saws to cut crooked without a lot of force.
With a new chain and new bar you cut at an angle? Really?

Could it be something in the Michigan air?

Hmmm....I don't think I could 'steer' my saws to cut crooked without a lot of force.
With a new chain and new bar you cut at an angle? Really?

Could it be something in the Michigan air?

It could be but then again when I think about it I do have one eye that has really fuzzy vision. Maybe it looks straight when I start but it really isn't.. Then again it could be the soil.

Seriously though. Today I cut a ton of wood. Many cuts were angled. Brand new chain and bar.
View attachment 224452

I believe that the majority of the weight of the saw is on the left side. When I set my saw to the log if I don't consciously hold the saw perfectly level the weight of the saw (left side) makes me cut to the right. It is the way you hold the saw for the most part!
I am a lazy cutter, I'll admit that. I'll try and do better to prove the theory of the bar and chain sharpened at odd angles or uneven or the Friday gravity hypothesis!

It could be but then again when I think about it I do have one eye that has really fuzzy vision. Maybe it looks straight when I start but it really isn't.. Then again it could be the soil.

Seriously though. Today I cut a ton of wood. Many cuts were angled. Brand new chain and bar.
View attachment 224452

I believe that the majority of the weight of the saw is on the left side. When I set my saw to the log if I don't consciously hold the saw perfectly level the weight of the saw (left side) makes me cut to the right. It is the way you hold the saw for the most part!
I am a lazy cutter, I'll admit that. I'll try and do better to prove the theory of the bar and chain sharpened at odd angles or uneven or the Friday gravity hypothesis!

Thats a good amount of work for today. I suggest drinking enough beer that the saw pulls the other way and then it'll even up!

Thats a good amount of work for today. I suggest drinking enough beer that the saw pulls the other way and then it'll even up!

I like your suggestions!
In all seriousness i will pay attention tomorrow and see if I can cut straight. Perhaps there is something to the uneven teeth theory. I have touched up the chain a bit with my free hand file so I can not rule it out. I will admit it makes perfect sense but given my past experiences I tend to blame it on myself. Just think maybe it's not my fault after all.
:wink2:

Not so sure about any of this. I have a brand new bar and chain and I still cut to the right. Every darn piece. I think it is how I hold the saw. I can cut straight if I really pay attention but when I'm in the thick of a giant Maple top that has been sitting on the forest floor for two years with briars trying to pluck out my eyes I just hammer down and let the chips fly. My hydraulic splitter doesn't mind if the ends are a bit sloped.
I've been on AS for a bit now and haven't seen a thread on proper cutting technique yet. (mind you I haven't searched for one either)
In fact I noodled a big son of a gun today and when I finished it off it looked like a banana.
I probably just suck buy really I'm having a darn good time.
My point is:
It's not always the machine, especially in my case!

It only takes a second to dull cutters on one side.

Are you sure your chain and bar are the same gauge? A .050 chain in a .058 or .063 grove will cause some slop.

Using the Oregon Power sharp system....I've found that I can steer the bar in the cut a whole lot easier than with a regular chain.

I still would like to see some pics of the cutters from these chains that are cutting a curve.

I find it strange that even with a pic of a cut on a curve.....OH.....well....

amen brother preach on!

Your saw is cutting to the left because it is a democrat. To make that saw happy you must first pay its Union dues. Next bring it inside each night and put it by the fire and keep it comfortable. Promise you will give it three days off each week and six weeks vacation each year. It needs a health plan and retirement 401k which you pay all the premiums. Promise the saw you will take more mix out of the big saws and less out of his tank.
It may still cut a little to the left but will be much happier or put it on welfare and not make it cut all, and you won't know which direction it cuts.
ha ha had to rep a man preaching the gospel truth!:yoyo::wink2:

It only takes a second to dull cutters on one side.

Are you sure your chain and bar are the same gauge? A .050 chain in a .058 or .063 grove will cause some slop.

Using the Oregon Power sharp system....I've found that I can steer the bar in the cut a whole lot easier than with a regular chain.

I still would like to see some pics of the cutters from these chains that are cutting a curve.

I find it strange that even with a pic of a cut on a curve.....OH.....well....

Yeah it's the same. I can snap a few pics of my chain. Maybe find that noodled log today and show you that one. I'm always interested in better technique whether it's sharpening, bar wear or just plain stance and grip.

Have the bar trued. Get the cutters sharp. Make sure the rakers have the same angle of drop from right side to left, regardless of whether the cutters are the same length from side to side.

But I think technique is often my problem. My 261 only has the stock bucking dog on the left side. If you set the dog into the wood and lift up on the saw handle using your right hand, it seems to want to curve to the right. I like the idea of using 362 dogs, but I think they are a little big.

Well after cutting for a few hours yesterday and actually concentrating on my form and technique the saw cut straight every time. I think the above idea on the dogs is true as well. In the instance where I noodled a banana cut; my cutters were not super sharp and I was exerting pressure on the saw by levering against the dogs on the left side which caused the cut to go right. Halfway through the cut I stopped to sharpen and then she started to go back the other way because I wasn't pulling on the handle and levering to make up for the dull cutters.
I have certainly learned something here.
Thanks,:msp_thumbup:

Well after cutting for a few hours yesterday and actually concentrating on my form and technique the saw cut straight every time. I think the above idea on the dogs is true as well. In the instance where I noodled a banana cut; my cutters were not super sharp and I was exerting pressure on the saw by levering against the dogs on the left side which caused the cut to go right. Halfway through the cut I stopped to sharpen and then she started to go back the other way because I wasn't pulling on the handle and levering to make up for the dull cutters.
I have certainly learned something here.
Thanks,:msp_thumbup:

Thanks for the update. As several of us have said. 'cutting crooked?' 'Look at the chain first'.

Harry K

Problem solved.

Well I sharpened my chain the same on both sides, made a cut in some 13'' black cherry same thing. Banana cut. So I flipped the bar over and I looked at it and the bottom side the rail is wallered out noticeably a lot. So I flipped the bar over made a few cuts in the same log straight as a board :blob2: thanks for all yalls help I sure do appreciate it.

When I sharpen my chains, I use a granberg file n joint. Clamp it on the bar, get all the angles set, and make sure u take the same amount of passes on each tooth.

Back