Why Run a .404 Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No error on my part. Poster said the only rollomatics available were to suit the MS880 which takes a 3002 mount. I pointed out that there are 3003 mount rollomatic ES 404's available which suits saws up to an MS660.

Regards

Phil

Sorry mate. I've re read it and must be reading it differently to you. The poster said that only .404" bars were available from Stihl to suit the MS880 and you mentioned 3003 mount bars that are available in .404" which don't fit the MS880?
No argument mate just a bit of confusion at my end :cheers:

EDIT: I think I know where we're confused. You're reading it as the only .404" bars made by Stihl are to suit the MS880. I'm reading it that only .404" bars are available from Stihl to suit the MS880. Hope that makes sense. I think the poster meant that the only sprocket nosed bars available from Stihl to suit the MS880 are in .404"

Last edited:
I think the poster meant that the only sprocket nosed bars available from Stihl to suit the MS880 are in .404"

I don't read his post that way, sorry and there is a Rollomatic ES bar available to suit the MS880 in 3/8:)

You're reading it as the only .404" bars made by Stihl are to suit the MS880.
That is correct. I am reading his post that way provided we are talking about Rollomatics:)

Either way no animosity is intended towards yourself:)

Regards

Phil

I think rwoods is on to it. The faster chain speed according to the mathematics means more teeth in the wood. And, the big saws havd the power to offset the larger width of the teeth. Just like putting 35" tires on a Toyota verses my Powerstroke. No knock on Toyota pickups.

I don't read his post that way, sorry and there is a Rollomatic ES bar available to suit the MS880 in 3/8:)

I know, a mate ran one on his 880 and I've seen an 880 in a Stihl shop with one on it getting serviced :)

That is correct. I am reading his post that way provided we are talking about Rollomatics:)

Either way no animosity is intended towards yourself:)

Regards

Phil

No worries mate :cheers: I'm not familiar with Stihl bar mount codes and every other bar manufacturer that I've got specs on make 3/8" bars in that mount.

Last edited:
If you want to try out .404 sized cutters oregon has the durapro chain in square ground that has bigger cutters like .404 but on a 3/8s chassis. I've got some for the 32" bar I run on the 390. It did seem to pull the engine down a little more with it but cut the same speed. Here's a picture of the chips off of the durapro and stihl rsk, and oregon ck.

001-6.jpg

As far as I know from Stihl you can only buy .404 bars for MS880.Unless you get a hard nose bar or buy .404 bar and change the
tip sprocket your self to what pitch you want.

TT

Not according to the Chains, Bars and Accessories catalog. There are 4 different bar lengths in Rollomatic ES available with the 3003 mount which suits the 064-MS660 series. 3003 mounts fit smaller saws as well but Stihl don't recommend using it on them.

We used to use 404 on anything that requires a wider cut. On the bigger hardwood trees we used to have to ring bark the tree before falling it if we used 3/8 chain but with 404 we did not need to ring bark the tree. The old 051 would handle the 404 chain with ease but the 056 would struggle.

Regards

Phil

Am only talking 3002 bar mounts.........051,075,880,090 and such.

Yes I know you can get 404 in 3003 mounts but can not get .375 3002 mounts.

Which I thought I had written as plan as day.........guess not :)

TT

Last edited:
I am a logger in CA. I am the only person I know that runs .404 I got lucky and got to try it for free. My buddy's dad has a bunch of it still hanging around from a Bailey's mess up and my buddy doesn't use it. Lucky me.
So I have to say this... In the morning yeah it takes more to pull it but at the end of the day it is sure doesn't. I prefer 3/8 full comp (all this is aggressive square file,) as it limbs way the best. The .404 skip sure is quick to file out at the end of the day and the teeth don't get as beat up like 3/8 skip. I saw a Redbull 661 test the other day that backs this up. My bars are junk ass old Windsors for the .404

Attachments

• 20190919_084413.jpg
    20190919_084413.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20191225-235558.png
    Screenshot_20191225-235558.png
    494.3 KB · Views: 16
I learned by setting up my 2100 for speed cutting at the local fairs were the local loggers compete for fun.

On my 2100, add 16” bar with 404/050” chain, change the sprocket nose to 404”, i hogged out the gullet, sharpen with a 7/32” file n guide the top of the tooth only. Add a 8 tooth rim, plug the governor. Since the fairs were two weeks apart I took the saw set up for the fair in the woods. I had many 12”/15” diameter tall oak trees to cut. The 2100 destroyed all of them. I set the rakers at .050”.

The 2100’s back then came with 24’/404” bars and chain. I was judging how many 3/8” vs 404” chain loops it took per season. I used them as equally as I could. It was on average 2 to 3 loops of 3/8” chain to one loop of 404” chain. The 404” lasted longer as long as I didn’t hit anything.
The 100 cc saw would pull a dull 404” chain in hardwood.

The 2100’s back then came with 24’/404” bars and chain. I was judging how many 3/8” vs 404” chain loops it took per season. I used them as equally as I could. It was on average 2 to 3 loops of 3/8” chain to one loop of 404” chain. The 404” lasted longer as long as I didn’t hit anything.
The 100 cc saw would pull a dull 404” chain in hardwood.

I gave a shorter version of this 9 years ago in this same thread :)

I purchased 3/8” sprocket nose Oregon .063” d009 mount bars with replacement noses so I can change them to sprocket 404 noses. I also purchased the non sprocket nose bars in .063” too. My bigger saws 80 cc and up will use full chisel 404”/.063” shorter bars while the longer bars on the bigger cc saws will run full chisel skip or semi chisel chains. These will out last my lifetime but my sons won’t need nothing. I’m stocking it up for them.

I am a logger in CA. I am the only person I know that runs .404 I got lucky and got to try it for free. My buddy's dad has a bunch of it still hanging around from a Bailey's mess up and my buddy doesn't use it. Lucky me.
So I have to say this... In the morning yeah it takes more to pull it but at the end of the day it is sure doesn't. I prefer 3/8 full comp (all this is aggressive square file,) as it limbs way the best. The .404 skip sure is quick to file out at the end of the day and the teeth don't get as beat up like 3/8 skip. I saw a Redbull 661 test the other day that backs this up. My bars are junk ass old Windsors for the .404

I just purchased two 100ft rolls of raisman 404”/.063” semi chisel chain for $149 each with shipping. They list for $500+ for 100 ft. I also purchased the huztl 404”/.063 in 25’ rolls for $25 each. For the cost of the 404” saw chain plus the change over to the .063” bars in the long run it will pay off.

Back