Why this site honestly blows

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first joined I realized after a short time I was witnessing the end of era on here. Maybe a year or two after I joined many of the guys on here who actually cut timber for a living were not coming back more and more and eventually just went away. Then a few years after that the site got hacked bad and even more guys left. Then the few who stayed around got pushed around by mods who had more power then they needed and even more guys left. Basically it's a skeleton crew now with those in the know. Reading about what those first guys talked about and pictures they posted really got me fired up to get the balls to quit what I was doing and make a go at logging on my own. Best thing I ever did. Really. Even my worst days are 100 times better then what I was doing. The feeling has left this site now. It just slowly trickled away with the old timers and the present timber fallers and loggers. I doubt it will ever get that back. Maybe I see it in a more rose colored light because I was kind of awed by these guys when I first started reading. The pictures of huge, tall timber. The stories. I've always been interested in the woods and what goes on there. Ever since I was a kid. I feel like I saw the high water mark here just before it receded. I suppose it would help if I posted more but I can't find the time now with my kids in sports and activities. It usually takes one or two guys to get the train moving again. It's hard to keep it moving.

I have nothing against most of the honest people from the industry here but what the heck is this place? An arborist by what I was taught was a climber or a guy that went up in a bucket, a faller or cutter is what you expect they made a living cutting or falling timber. Now the rest of this site is a bunch of firewood hacks or wood roaches that shouldn't own or have saws I my opinion if they can't figure out what size they need or this or that hell all they need is a sawzall that's it. Sorry for this rant just going off the main page this place needs redirected thank you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When I first joined I realized after a short time I was witnessing the end of era on here. Maybe a year or two after I joined many of the guys on here who actually cut timber for a living were not coming back more and more and eventually just went away. Then a few years after that the site got hacked bad and even more guys left. Then the few who stayed around got pushed around by mods who had more power then they needed and even more guys left. Basically it's a skeleton crew now with those in the know. Reading about what those first guys talked about and pictures they posted really got me fired up to get the balls to quit what I was doing and make a go at logging on my own. Best thing I ever did. Really. Even my worst days are 100 times better then what I was doing. The feeling has left this site now. It just slowly trickled away with the old timers and the present timber fallers and loggers. I doubt it will ever get that back. Maybe I see it in a more rose colored light because I was kind of awed by these guys when I first started reading. The pictures of huge, tall timber. The stories. I've always been interested in the woods and what goes on there. Ever since I was a kid. I feel like I saw the high water mark here just before it receded. I suppose it would help if I posted more but I can't find the time now with my kids in sports and activities. It usually takes one or two guys to get the train moving again. It's hard to keep it moving.

Skeans,

As you likely know I am just a firewood hack trespassing over here, but nonetheless I too have questioned the name of this site versus most of the content. I doubt it started as a chainsaw site but I don't know. I don't know a thing about the inter-politics of the site, but otherwise Bitzer pretty much said what I was going to say so I will leave it there with respect to the lost of contributing pros. It seems to me that even the hobbyist component is being overshadowed by a growing interest in contentious and controversial topics. Pretty sad to witness.

Ron

I gotta admit, as a Forestry guy, the word "Arborist" in the name of this website kept me away for years. I finally got tired of all of my Google searches leading me here and gave in and investigated. That was the better part of a decade ago. I've seen several waves of posters come and go, not unlike other forums I've been a part of. What makes this one different is the depth of the knowledge of the legitimate experts. I'd hate to see that disappear.

Add 1 part acetone

Seriously? I thought it was best to add MEK, keeps the carb clean too....

Maybe try some H2O2 with the acetone...try it with an old saw first <G>
whoops, hear the black helicopters now........

Well said.

72 year old "Retired" guy just left here ,worked 13 hours in the woods yesterday ,took today off because equipment was going to a different hill ,that the kind of stuff you guys like hearing ? I see this stuff every day ,a good percentage of my customers do this stuff for a living ,i hear lots of stories .

I joined in Nov of 09

You are dead ass right.....

Ehh, this place is 15 or so years of the best minds on the web on these subjects interspersed with a bunch of not-so-great minds. It just takes a little effort to weed out the chaff. Worth it, I say. It's not like there are too many similar resources out there.

Hey Nate !!!!!!

Firewood hack here.

I come here to learn and to enjoy the camaraderie from like minded (mostly) people. I live on the jersey shore and I feel like my way of life and the way I do things/think is more in line with all you people here than the people I live around. I'm kind of a fish out of water where I live so coming here and interacting is pretty nice compared to dealing with most of those around me.

I operate a forklift and a dual EPJ at work so it's not like I sit in an office.

I think there's something to be said for some of us who put in a hard day's work and then cut some trees and wood on top of that.

Just the opinion of a firewood hack. What do I know?

I feel the frustration of the OP when someone asks. question that would have been easily answered if they took the time to Google it. When I joined 6 years ago I went through several dozen pages digesting, what seemed good, and throwing out the bad, info. If I ask a question on a forum it's because i could not find the info i was seeking on the subject. I value others time and strive to not ask what I can find for myself. While I live in the PNW, I am no logger but have used common sense, saws, and any other tool I needed to fall, cut, or trim trees for the last 39 years. Like with guns, most of my saws are just fun toys. I just like playing with machines and will pay them, and the jobs they were intended for with respect as they MAY actually be dangerous if operated stupidly, like with any other machinery.

Latest posts

Back