Wich Rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What kind of rope do you most of you use for recreational climbing?

static is great for srt it is just about no stretch. it is not desigind for drt and its not a rope i want to use doing work climbing but if im doing long ascents and rec climbing i like to use HTP (red 10mm) kermantle and return to the ground on a deff 8. static is also a good choice for repelling and rigging off the grcs. i like velocity, blaze and tachyon for tree work and enjoy the smaller diameter lighter weight ropes. my favorite 16 strand rope is arbormaster(13mm) blue or gold streak.

Rec climbers are using the same range of ropes that work climbers use. New England Ropes Tachyon is my favorite for DRT fricton hitch climbing, it's a great rope, also works well for SRT. For a dedicated SRT static rope I'm using Sterling HTP 10mm (what WLL is using).
-moss

Last edited:
Do you have any problem with the Tachyon milking? I talked to a guy at Wespur and he said he tried Tachyon and it milked pretty bad. He recommended Bluemoon.

Do you have any problem with the Tachyon milking? I talked to a guy at Wespur and he said he tried Tachyon and it milked pretty bad. He recommended Bluemoon.
i have yet to use a double braid rope that doesnt milk. trim as needed. blue moon is a good rope with little strech. id say go for it;)

I've had zero milkage over many climbs using Tachyon SRT and DdRT. In comparison Poison Ivy, Fly and other similar construction ropes have milked a fair amount. I've done many more climbs on Tachyon with no milking.

Agree with WLL that it's not a big issue, milking is a one time event, trim off the extra sheath and everything's good-to-go. I had a 120ft. length of PI when it first came on the market and it milked 30+ inches!

What the Wesspur rep mentioned doesn't sound like the rule with Tachyon. Also, I think Wesspur is fairly cozy with Samson ropes, they're located in the same town. Is Blue Moon made by Samson by any chance?
-moss

Last edited:
I've had zero milkage over many climbs using Tachyon SRT and DdRT. In comparison Pison Ivy Fly and other similar construction ropes have milked a fair amount. I've done many more climbs on Tachyon with no milking.

Agree with WLL that it's not a big issue, milking is a one time event, trim off the extra sheath and everything's good-to-go. I had a 120ft. length of PI when it first came on the market and it milked 30+ inches!

What the Wesspur rep mentioned doesn't sound like the rule with Tachyon. Also, I think Wesspur is fairly cozy with Samson ropes, they're located in the same town. Is Blue Moon made by Samson by any chance?
-moss
blue moon is a Yale product. blue moon is just like blaze but it has less stretch. blue moon is also a tad bit heavier and thicker than blaze. i have both ropes. i like blaze better. blaze has a brighter color, less weight and is thinner than blue moon. blaze is also cheaper,both have the same M.B.S. blue moon is a good rope

blue moon is a Yale product. blue moon is just like blaze but it has less stretch. blue moon is also a tad bit heavier and thicker than blaze. i have both ropes. i like blaze better. blaze has a brighter color, less weight and is thinner than blue moon. blaze is also cheaper,both have the same M.B.S. blue moon is a good rope

Ok, that's good to know.
-moss

Ok, that's good to know.
-moss
there are a few companies that offer the same exact rope in a diff. color and use a diff. name for the same rope

Back