Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Turkey Cleaning and Meat Prep

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!!!' started by svk, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:12 PM.

1. svk

svk Firewood and Saw Collector

Anyone here hunt turkeys? Will be my first time out on Sunday. Once you put one in the bag, do you just breast it out or pick the whole thing like a domestic bird?

Secondly I have heard the wild meat is more gamey than domestic. Any tips or recipes for cooking it?

Thanks!

2. tla100

tla100 Addicted to ArboristSite

Gut it, get turkey fryer pot with water hot. Throw turkey in water and that helps release feathers. Pluck, rinse and repeat. Burn off the hairs. We usually inject them with butter marinade. Hard to beat in the turkey fryer with peanut oil. Takes some babysitting, but it is good. Have tried smoking them too.

svk likes this.
  3. tla100

tla100 Addicted to ArboristSite

Gut it, get turkey fryer pot with water hot. Throw turkey in water and that helps release feathers. Pluck, rinse and repeat. Burn off the hairs. We usually inject them with butter marinade. Hard to beat in the turkey fryer with peanut oil. Takes some babysitting, but it is good. Have tried smoking them too.

Johnnybar likes this.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

The trick to plucking a bird is to not over heat the water. Temps between 140-144f will help the feathers release easily. If you over heat the water, it will set the feathers, making them difficult to pluck. I have never gutted a bird before plucking. To do so opens up the body cavity to bacterial contamination. Pluck, rinse then gut. unless you plan on letting the dead bird sit around for a while before cleaning. If that is the case, then gut as soon as possible. My experience is with chickens, cant say I have ever cleaned a turkey. With chickens we usually already have the water hot, catch the chicken, chop off its head, let it flop and bleed out, dunk and pluck, take a newspaper, set it on fire and wave it over the carcass to burn off the little pin feathers, then gut and process.

svk likes this.
  5. Johnnybar

Johnnybar ArboristSite Guru

Open skin up down centerline of breast, fillet breasts and take legs/thighs and you got 95% of the meat. If you want the classic Thanksgiving stuffed turkey, then the guys have already helped with that. We cut breast into strips, bread, batter or crumb and deep fry.

20140409_085737-1.jpg 20140409_165236-1-1.jpg 20140415_101221.jpg 20140417_182112.jpg

mybowtie and svk like this.
  6. gary courtney

gary courtney Addicted to ArboristSite

output (1).jpg breast them and cover with bacon and put them in smoker is what we do.

mybowtie, Johnnybar and svk like this.