Will Strato charged motors be less reliable long term?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know, but I think there are a lot of hard working 461s out there with a lot of hours and not so many problems, but time will tell.
The 461 is NOT a strato engine. The ONLY difference between it and any other quad port cylinder is where the transfer ducts begin. Port timing is no different at all. It's a standard 2-stroke in EVERY way, regardless of what Stihl marketing calls it.

The 461 is NOT a strato engine. The ONLY difference between it and any other quad port cylinder is where the transfer ducts begin. Port timing is no different at all. It's a standard 2-stroke in EVERY way, regardless of what Stihl marketing calls it.
Husky buying up Redmax was a great move because it netted them all their Strato related patents.

yeh and that is husky's answer to everything, buy out the competition. unfortunately it has done nothing for reliability.
Redmax wasnt really much competition and it makes alot of sense business wise to do what they did.
Stihl has had reliability issues with their newer emissions compliant engines to.

Redmax wasnt really much competition and it makes alot of sense business wise to do what they did.
Stihl has had reliability issues with their newer emissions compliant engines to.
sorry ,i own both, sell one brand and strongly disagree. m-tronic saws are not problematic, the same cannot be said for auto-tune saws. husky's are lighter and a little quicker, but they do not hold a candle to stihl when it comes to reliability. i have 200 plus maint. techs under me here, 40 of them are small engine. i can tell you we do very little warranty work, most of the issues these days are due to operator error.

sorry ,i own both, sell one brand and strongly disagree. m-tronic saws are not problematic, the same cannot be said for auto-tune saws. husky's are lighter and a little quicker, but they do not hold a candle to stihl when it comes to reliability. i have 200 plus maint. techs under me here, 40 of them are small engine. i can tell you we do very little warranty work, most of the issues these days are due to operator error.
The 661 was problematic and most Husky Autotune saws work just fine and have since day one.
I was a Stihl guy at one time till I ran a few Husky saws and realised they were a better mouse trap for a variety of reasons. Neither brand let me down reliability wise, but the Husky's always cut faster with more torque, were smoother and had better antivibe. Some of this has changed with the newer Stihls, but it took them years.

I have a strato engined saw built in 2005. Probably won't hold up nlong term.

There's probably 20% less mix passing through the case per unit time - so if that concerns you use 20% more oil, which is like going from 40:1 to 32:1. I don't worry about it at all and I've read nothing to make me think there is any reason for concern.

I also don't know where the idea that they run hotter comes from.

I have a strato engined saw built in 2005. Probably won't hold up nlong term.

There's probably 20% less mix passing through the case per unit time - so if that concerns you use 20% more oil, which is like going from 40:1 to 32:1. I don't worry about it at all and I've read nothing to make me think there is any reason for concern.

I also don't know where the idea that they run hotter comes from.
They run much leaner and leaner equals hotter.
I have been running the snot out of a Redmax 8000 blower since the early 2000's and its never missed a beat. However, it doesn't have a compensating carb like the newer saws have. FWIW it's been on a diet of 32:1 since day one.

Corporate use of its size to crush competition by lobbying regulators for rules that favor it's technology in the name of saving the earf. Your days of field repairing your saw are soon over. Thanks world.

At 32:1 I expect a long life out of my 441. I mean the 372s out there seem to benefit from that ratio

Honestly I can not say I have rebuilt many strato saw in the last couple of years that were not from operator error.

Back