winch battery ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayard

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have a winch mounted on my mill trailer.are there batteries just for winches. it is a 4500 pound max pull.this will need to be a, kind of battery that can be fully drained?

A "deep cycle" batt. is best for being charged after a long draw on it...

NO batt. appreciates being drained ALL the way down and then recharged... Doing so, shortens it's life...

SR

DEEP CYCLE. The best you can afford. No battery really thrives on being totally drained. Some tolerate it to a degree. Ask the solar guys. How much work is this winch going to do in-between charges? Is it going to be really cold when you use it? If cold is an issue then you might be looking at a gel or agm. I don't want to be spending your money for 'ya, so you'll have to check the amps on the winch, times by your volts (almost always about 12.6 or so) then times by honest time it will be running when you're working in hours. That will give you the watt- hours you need. Then you need a battery that will cover that. The lower you cycle the battery, the less cycles it will live. If you think there's a chance that the winch will run a lot, you may want to consider a small engine (say 3hp) and a car alternator wired to it and a conventional car battery instead. But if the winch is just going to run 15 minutes here or there, then a quality battery might be all you need. I wish I could give you a straight answer, and a cost effective one, but it all depends on how much your going to run it in between charges.

thanks, i will pull 5 to 10 logs on the mill one at a time. a few min. per log. not too long. i will get a big marine battery

Get an AGM battery based on the above statements from Sawyer Rob and fatgraderman as it is spot on, and based on my personal experience, AGM just takes so much more abuse. Just as important is it to get a proper charger for your battery as the AGM alt GEL will need a slightly higher charging current to be fully charged. Another thing, besides the allready mentioned dislikes, is not being fully charged now and then. It will detoriate the battery allmost as bad as deep discharging. If you make alot of use of the winch you will appreciate the advantages of AGM. For rare use go with the standard flooded marine battery.

Motorsen

How about putting one of the $50 solar charges on it? My mom keeps one on her boat, and it keeps the battery charged all summer.

How about putting one of the $50 solar charges on it? My mom keeps one on her boat, and it keeps the battery charged all summer.

They don't remotely come close enough to putting enough amps into a batt that's in use, powering a winch! And when it's not in use, it will need to have a decent batt charger on it...

SR

Of course it won't be enough while in use. But if he only uses it once every few days and doesn't totally deplete it, one of them should charge it back up so it is ready for the next use. I know they will charge car batteries that don't have enough juice to turn over an engine in a couple of days.

The times I've used a 12v winch, they worked much better when powered off the truck with the engine running - about 16 volts there from the alt as opposed to the rapidly diminishing 12 volts on it's own. If you could run a cable back and have a welding type connector where the trailer hooks up you'd be saved buying an expensive battery & watching it's sorry performance as it wound down.

Deka's a good battery. If you bring those logs up over a span of hours then that solar panel will help to keep from drawing that battery all the way down. Have to remember to keep adjusting it towards the sun through the day. It all helps the life of the battery tho. Hope it works well for you.

Latest posts

Back