Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

winch sizing for loading logs onto trailer

Discussion in 'Milling & Saw Mills' started by j_d, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:26 AM.

1. j_d

j_d New Member

Greetings. I have a deck over trailer that I am wanting to be able to load logs onto with minimal fuss. I am thinking about a front mounted winch and using a snatch block/pulley on either side with removable side ramps to roll the logs up. I am winch shopping and want to go as heavy as reasonable but price is a concern. I am shopping harbor freight (fits the budget) and there is a significant price increase from the 12,000 lb and the 18,000 lb models. I am looking for any input or suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Josh

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. rwoods

rwoods Addicted to ArboristSite

I would pay close attention to duty cycle and amp draw. These are likely more important factors than pulling power for your application.

Ron

Sawyer Rob and SeMoTony like this.
  3. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

4. kimosawboy

kimosawboy ArboristSite Operative

You might want to pass on the Harbor freight junk , get yourself a more dependable Ramsey or Warn in the 8000lb size... ValleyFirewood and rwoods are correct,, Speed /draw /amps.

SeMoTony likes this.
  5. j_d

j_d New Member

So would a lighter rated but better quality winch be able to reliably roll a large log up?

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. kimosawboy

kimosawboy ArboristSite Operative

You are not dead lifting any logs when you are rolling them up the ramps , so you do not need a big winch.
    This guy is using what looks like a small 2000-3000lb winch..
    The better quality just (hopefully) ensures that it will have a long life without burning itself out. The warn 8274 has a nice line speed of 80/ft/min , which when you are doubling a line makes a difference. You can sometimes find used ones for a couple of hundred $$ on craigslist and the like.

SeMoTony likes this.
  7. Garrit

Garrit ArboristSite Member

Yea, if you are just rolling the log up on the trailer than you should be good with smaller winch, Get one with a good warranty. Will you ever build a log arch?

8. j_d

j_d New Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I have a log arch with a manual winch to get them out of the woods. This will just be to get them on the trailer.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. 300zx_tt

300zx_tt ArboristSite Operative

I have a badlands (HF) #3500lb winch. This log is 13'6" 34" at the big end ~29" at the small end. I had to hook a ratchet strap to it to help get it up on the truck... I estimate the log at 5300lbs. just a little too heavy for the winch. The truck bed is way higher than the trailer will be so you'll have that going for you. Also it bent the **** out of my Ramps so I have to find a new solution.

IMG_0947.PNG IMG_0948.PNG

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. j_d

j_d New Member

I like it. That's getting it done.

11. Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob Addicted to ArboristSite

Personally, I'd get an 8,000 pound winch... AND a good brand, not a cheapo with it's tiny duty cycle...

SR

12. 300zx_tt

300zx_tt ArboristSite Operative

Most winch's have pretty bad duty cycles, the more expensive ones are better obviously. In my case with that white oak, I had to stop winching every 20-30 seconds to brace my ramps anyway, so it worked, just a little too weak to do it with out some help. for what it's worth I regret the 3500lb purchase. Should have gotten the 5000lb.

I couldn't justify spending an extra $350 on a warn or other name brand winch I'm going to uses for a half an hour ~10 times a year. I am never really in a rush to load logs, I give myself a lot of time. that's why I got the harbor freight winch, plus I view a winch as a tool with a 5 year life expectancy.

13. Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob Addicted to ArboristSite

Well, I have a Warn 12,000, I've had it MANY years and pulled some extreme loads, all without over heating or any problems at all.

I ALSO have a HF 12,000 and the duty cycle is pretty pathetic! Yeaaa, you can ignore the duty cycle, but it voids the warr. WHEN it burns up and it will burn up if you ignore the duty cycle...

A friend of mine, buys HF 2500 winches for his sawmill to turn logs, why ?, because they are cheeeep. He keeps going through them, but you know, he "thinks" they are cheep...BUT they aren't when they don't last... lol

SR

Garrit likes this.