Window blown leaner tree advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordon

Reaction score
A recent wind storm uprooted a dead elm, and it is now leaning against a nearby tree, 8' away at the base. I would estimate the leaner is against the other tree 40' to 50' up at 10' away, due to the deflection of the live tree. The first branch of the leaner is 17' up, and using that as a guide, I estimate the next larger branch at 35' up, and the point of contact with the other tree at 40' to 50'. The overall tree height could easily be 60' to 75'. The tree trunk is about 12" caliper (14" at base).

The base of the leaner is 45' foot from the deck on the back of my house. I cannot afford to fell this tree on the deck, as the repair costs would be prohibitive. In the attached pictures, hopefully, you can see enough detail to make a recommendation for removal. Any suggestions for removal?

_1150460.jpg

_1150455.jpg _1150457.jpg _1150458.jpg _1150459.jpg _1150461.jpg _1150462.jpg _1150463.jpg _1150464.jpg

Thank you,

Geordon

I have felled other trees about this size, and another heavy leaner, but less risk to collateral damage. The tree was blown earlier in the winter. But, you are right. I would feel better paying a pro with insurance. We had a crew out a few years ago to remove potential hazards before they were blown over. I need to look them up, again.

Did one like that a couple of years back. Started in only to discover a stone chimney concealed in the branches. Threw that chain away.

Though tall, it's not that big. A serious wire rope puller like a Griphoist or similar device using a re-direct block from behind would haul it back over and into the woods. Not a difficult rigging project, but you wouldn't want to use a cheap come-a-long and nylon rope.

Though tall, it's not that big. A serious wire rope puller like a Griphoist or similar device using a re-direct block from behind would haul it back over and into the woods. Not a difficult rigging project, but you wouldn't want to use a cheap come-a-long and nylon rope.
I saw on his picture a good candidate tree that I would look to tie into for working it. But I didn't want to send someone out under that without the right tools and training.

Back