Winged Elm Leaning Over From Hurricane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaTreeProblem

Reaction score
I have a winged elm that is leaning over after Hurricane Irma. The roots have pulled out of the ground partially on one side. (See pics)This happened last year on a smaller scale after Hurricane Mathew,. I would like to try and save the tree. My thoughts were to use a duckbill earth anchor, use a tree strap and a come along pullet and try and pull the tree back slowly a few cranks at a time to allow the roots to re-establish. The soil is still quite wet. My questions are:

Is this the best approach?
Do I need to do anything to the roots? Remove grass, add soil etc?
Should I anchor on other sides?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170917_154945397.jpg
    IMG_20170917_154945397.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170917_154829447.jpg
    IMG_20170917_154829447.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170917_154817000_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170917_154817000_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 18
Looks like the next tree back is leaning too?

If you can anchor it to something else to make the initial pull (truck, a larger tree, etc...) THEN set the duckbill or other anchor (I like the earth auger type of anchors as they are easier (I didn't say "easy"...but easier) than the duckbill anchors to get out of the ground later.

Pull it nice and slow and do it when the soil is most.

Apply mulch over the area as wide as you are willing to go. Only make it 3" think and not piled against the trunk. Turf can be a lot of competition for the roots...mulch will make for a friendlier rooting environment.

One consideration: If the anchoring does not work what is the tree going to fall on? If it is something that would be really bad, you might be better off removing and replacing the tree. If it is just going to hit the yard or a fence, then it may be worth experimenting with...

Thanks for the input. The other tree is in my neighbors yard and not leaning as much. If it falls over it wont hurt much. ALso, should I try trimming some branches off the tree now to take weight off that side or is the tree in too much shock now to do any trimming?

More important than shifting weight on a tree that size is thinning the crown so wind will pass through better as it anchors back in. That is, frankly, better done by a GOOD arborist. Not somebody who will top it or lion's tail the tree...but an appropriate canopy thinning.

Latest posts

Back