Wiring electric motor on sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman0490

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recently put my order in on a bandsaw mill. I opted for the electric motor for the much less noise primarily. Doing some research for the electrical before I have an electrician I know come over to wire it, so I have an idea what he is talking about.

Motor info is 10hp, 230 volts, draws 44 amps, single phase.
The manufacturer says to run for 80 amps, so 4awg and an 80 amp fused disconnect.
I am going to make a building for this mill, so for now the mill will be outside until I have milled enough wood for the building.
For now, going to unplug mill and wind up the wire and bring back in house. I will eventually bury the wire and pop it up in the building.
This wire looks like the best deal I have found online. Just double checking any of you electrical guys out there can confirm, or point me in a better direction.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/4-3c-thhn-pvc-tray-cable-with-ground.html

You normally have to derate the cable to 80% so to be code legal if I remember right you would need to use #2 AWG for a 100 Amp service. How long of run is it going to be? You may have to up size the wire for voltage drop. I have used this type of cable and in cold weather is can become stiff and the outside jacket can break rolling and unrolling it repeatedly.

The run would be between 100-160' depending on first and then final location.
During the winter I would be using not very often, maybe a day or 2 a month, depending on the weather and what comes in.
It is calling for 80 amps, not 100, but I did read somewhere online it is cheaper to use 2awg aluminum wire and eventually bury in pipe verse 4awg copper direct bury. Fining an 80amp disconnect online seems tricky, everything g is geared towards 60 or 100amps.

Are you sure that 44 amps isn't for 208 volts and for 230 the rating is 38 or so? Is it a Cooks mp32? The motor you are asking generally has 40 amp switch gear but might pull 100 amps for an instant at the start. There really are only two 14 gague and one 16 guage wire per hot leg in the motor not counting the capacitors. https://www.temcoindustrial.com/weg-01036es1e215t-ac-electric-motor.html
I think talking about 80 and 100 amps is silly it is in between a 30 amp clothes dryer and a 50 amp stove range. 4 gague copper/2 gague aluminum is probably about right for what you are discussing here.

It is a woodmizer with the 10hp electric. They sent the specs for the electricity on the motor, but not the info on the motor as far as brand goes

Most motors will draw 4-6 times their normal running current for the few seconds of start up. Man the lights are gonna dim down.
Wire, fuse/breaker and disconnect will be sized per the NEC table 430.248 and allowances per 430.22 for wire, 430.52 fuse/breaker and 430.110 for disconnect

ALWAYS use manufacturer's installation instructions
If this is a special High Torque, Low Speed or Multi-speed motor use the MFG nameplate info.
This could be what's up with this mill motor.

If this was a generic induction motor, this is what you'd do
wire size 50 x 1.25 = 62.5 use #6 AWG or larger
pick fuse or breaker unless MFG specifies a particular type of protection
Time delay fuse 50 x 1.75 = 87.5 use next larger standard size 90 amp
or use
Breaker 50 x 2.5 = 125 which equals a standard size
Disconnect 50 x 1.15 = 57.5 next larger NEMA size is 60 amp but need CODE LETTER to calculate surge HP rating and may need to be bigger that 10HP depending on design
Overload device/relay
NAMEPLATE CURRENT x 1.25 if Service Factor 1.15 or greater
NAMEPLATE CURRENT x 1.15 if Service Factor less than 1.15

http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/nec/nec2011_table430.248.html

http://www.encorewire.com/wp-content/uploads/wire_size_table.htm

http://www.thewaycorp.com/power/nec tables.pdf

The one I linked there in post 4 is what you get on a Cooks. They give you switch gear of the same brand. A 4 gague wire(s) from switch gear to motor itself.

It looks to me you found a good on line deal there in post #1. If you really want it buried in conduit usually those have about 6 individual strands per "wire", and different colored single insulated wires put in the conduit, my obesevation. The stuff to coil up has lots of strands. I noted sunlight resistant.

Want to save money is that the goal? might try local, or a bigger city depending on where your at, scrap yard, that is where I found 300' of flexible outside use black extension cord material that is 4/4 #4 wire 4 conductors, white black red and green, I think it is good for 60 to 70 amps. cost was $1/lb.
These places take in spools of wire of all sorts

Motor info is 10hp, 230 volts, draws 41.5 amps, single phase. The 44 is for 208.

that saw for duty is amusing. the tefc is fully enclosed,

Hope you take a picture of the motor later.

It could be easily exchanged for one that goes half as fast, same 10 hp.

I'm coming up with 39 amps for a 10hp 85% eff motor on 240v.

For a 100 ft run, #6 wire is fine.

Not looking to get away as cheap as possible; just looking to not spend extra money when I don't have too.

That link in post 1 also has a 6/3 that is rated for 75 amps, that 4/3 in the link is 95 amps.
But would I want to use a 60 breaker and disconnect and fuse, or 100. Finding the breaker is easy, but finding an 80 amp disconnect is tough.

When you watch the videos online where they set up one of these mills. There are 4 wires which are connected into the plug on the mill.
If there are 4 wires, I am looking for a 4-3 or a 4-4 wire?

The over current protection device (breaker or fuse), not the conductor, determines the circuits ampere rating.

Size your breaker first, then find a conductor that meets or exceeds the circuits rating after any necessary derating.

Back