Wood fairy!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are silver maple leaves apparent in one picture, along with some other leaves I haven't figured out yet. Right now, they keep making me think sourwood, but there is no picture of bark that looks like sourwood. Another picture of end grain looks like oak of some sort.

pic #1 Black Ash
pic #2 and #3 Blue Beech
pic #4 #5 #6 Silver Maple

How's that ?

Did you only accept wood with a color in it's name? :)

unclemoustache,

Ok I see the silver maple beech disguise now from the leaves but Pecan in Illinois?
I know a species exists called northern hardy Pecan but it's a rare beast.
5 and 6 are like no oak we have here, lots of oaks though so I'm not an unbeliever.

Got to get a picture up here of the tree in my backyard that has gone from 0 to 10ft in 2 seasons.
Should be interesting as to what it is :)
I've thrown so many different seeds from dozens of species I guess one took but an Id for it ?

lone wolf,

My weird and wonderful tree is growing on a compost heap so I understand why it's growing at a fast pace, a silver maple in the same heap is almost the same height at 2 years.
Looks different than a catalpa tree.
First year I was pretty sure it was a box elder but an odd looking box elder but this year it has 5 sets of leaves on a main stem and I think at the top I see either seed sets of flower sets starting.
Flowers or seeds sure will make ID much easier.

Closest thing it looks like is a hickory something but 10ft in 2 years?

Will get some pics and maybe someone will be able to tell me what it might be.
Also have a very old tree/shrub that produces tiny apples shaped things so maybe 2 tree ID day :)
I believe it's choke cherry but it also has some serious nasty thorns so everyone that looks at it has a different opinion.
A couple tree service guys I work with have had some serious arguments about it LOL

I call it my choke honey locust *grin*

Will start an ID thread tomorrow on them both and hope you get to input on what they can be.

lone wolf,

My weird and wonderful tree is growing on a compost heap so I understand why it's growing at a fast pace, a silver maple in the same heap is almost the same height at 2 years.
Looks different than a catalpa tree.
First year I was pretty sure it was a box elder but an odd looking box elder but his year it has 5 sets of leaves on a main stem and I think at the top I see either seed sets of flower sets starting.
Flowers or seeds sure will make ID much easier.

Closest thing it looks like is a hickory something but 10ft in 2 years?

Will get some pics and maybe someone will be able to tell me what it might be.
Also have a very old tree/shrub that produces tiny apples near it so maybe 2 tree ID day :)
I believe it's choke cherry but it also has some serious nasty thorns so everyone that looks at it has a different opinion LOL
Be waiting.

I thought 2 and 3 was cherry but the end grain wasn't right.

Pecan is pretty common here in IL, especially in old farm lots and river bottoms. They can grow to an enormous size...140' and 5-6'+ diameter is not unheard of.

Latest posts

Back