wood for turning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine is learning how to turn wood and I have given him some cherry and shagbark hickory along with some cherry berls. I have some paper birch and elm as well and I was wondering if they might be OK for turning. I also have some poplar, same question. Thanks in advance.
Erik B

Unless those burls are stress relieved there is a high posibility of disintegration or explosive toss of pieces.I've read from the business owner, boiling burls, crotches and the like removes the tension within the highly figured wood. The business turned wood bowls from higly figured wood like burls or crotch. The recomendation he made is boil an hour for each inch the thinest direction. Black walnot crotch ,red oak crotch and mexican snakewood all have come apart in making pens. I am just beginning so have paid attention to the complaints of guys at the retail wood workers supply store that I gave pieces of red oak and black walnut crotch cut as pen blanks and dryed a year,

I really wanted to be sure there are not trees to avoid for turning. I would hate to give my friend wood that is not suitable for turning.
Thanks for answering my question.

Latest posts

Back