Wood furnace build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iaff113

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone just joined up with you all. I picked up a Hotblast 1557m the other day for a little bit of nothing. My plan is to build and out door furnace with it. So far I am planing on wrapping it in reflectix,studding it with mental studs then filling the gaps with Roxul safe and sound. Then coviering it all with tin or sheet metal. I will be using 15 foot of class A triple wall chimney ( brand undecided yet ) right now it is on a pallet that I covered in sheet metal and up off of it 2 inches. I'm thinking this will be enough clearance to the metal covered wood. Does anyone have any pointers for builds like this.

Thanks

Hello everyone just joined up with you all. I picked up a Hotblast 1557m the other day for a little bit of nothing. My plan is to build and out door furnace with it. So far I am planing on wrapping it in reflectix,studding it with mental studs then filling the gaps with Roxul safe and sound. Then coviering it all with tin or sheet metal. I will be using 15 foot of class A triple wall chimney ( brand undecided yet ) right now it is on a pallet that I covered in sheet metal and up off of it 2 inches. I'm thinking this will be enough clearance to the metal covered wood. Does anyone have any pointers for builds like this.

Thanks
One quick and dirty is that Roxul safe and sound is a sound deadening product. It does sort of insulate but Roxul makes real insulation, not just this sound deadening product.
BTW, what is a mental stud?

I may or may not have been accused of being a mental stud in my youth.

That's funny I just re read my post and you post. My writing skills look like that. Sorry about the spelling

+1, there are a few companies that make and outdoor furnace like this, the thought of buying one crossed my mind but when I posted and asked for advice on here, I did not get anybody that thought it was a good idea. Seems to me the reviews from people who had owned them seemed like they were probematic too.

I can tell you after three years of using mine that it is fantastic. The wife loves the warm house and no mess in doors. I'm not sure about the "energy to move the air" comment, if it was hot water you would have to run a circulator, I just run a fan. I don't think it's in -efficient, we didn't use any more wood than I expected last winter and it was a long one. You should be able to find my pictures/build on here.
Keep on building on.
Dave

Yeah I read your post a long time ago when I started thinking about this and really like the way yours turned out, I am pretty much following your design. I pulled the outer shell of and sealed everything up the other day. Tomorrow I am wrapping it in reflectix and I will post pictures

Back