Wood furnace to heat garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damein

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i need info on heating my 1500sqft garage, my plan is to attach an enclosed , insulated lean to on my garage . Install furnace in this and pipe heat in thru the wall , so I would not be pulling combustion air from the garage. Would this satisfy safety and insurance concerns? Any help would be great?

Going to depend on where/how you are plumbing the return air section -if you are going to use a return system. Normal code is for furnaces in environments that have combustibles to be at least 4ft off the floor including returns. At my shop it has to be hung from the ceiling. There might be a specific distance for the two buildings, and weather they are connected might also come into play- best to check with local inspector department before proceeding. It is a royal pia to have to take everthing apart because they say ya can't do that - plus insurance company has to sign on/off as welll-- ya I know that plenty of redneck systems exist- but if sometime- god forbid _ should go south- ya don't want ins. denying claim.

Going to depend on where/how you are plumbing the return air section -if you are going to use a return system. Normal code is for furnaces in environments that have combustibles to be at least 4ft off the floor including returns. At my shop it has to be hung from the ceiling. There might be a specific distance for the two buildings, and weather they are connected might also come into play- best to check with local inspector department before proceeding. It is a royal pia to have to take everthing apart because they say ya can't do that - plus insurance company has to sign on/off as welll-- ya I know that plenty of redneck systems exist- but if sometime- god forbid _ should go south- ya don't want ins. denying claim.
I wonder if I could pull return from above ceiling (attic) ?

We heat with a wood stove in the shop. 18" off the ground is all the fire marshal needed to see.

It's not 4 feet, it's 18" from "flame, spark, or glow" unless you have extra local rules. Many homes have the water heaters and furnaces in the attached garage.

True, firecode says no solid fuel burners in the garage but the fire code fails to define garage. My shop has three overhead 12x12 doors but I was able to install a legal, permitted, wood stove in it so long as it was 18" off the ground. It's not a garage, don't call it a garage, call it a shop.

Thank you very much for the info, I believe I've found an insurance company who will cover this just waiting on all the code info thanks again

Latest posts

Back