Wood haulers??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1506.JPG IMG_1507.JPG

I just picked this up last weekend. Had to go 5 hours north to get it but it was worth it. 2012 8x14 PJ deck over with a scissor lift. 14,00 pound trailer. The sides fold down for easy loading. Just delivered a cord with it tonight, fill it about even with the sides and that is a full cord. It dumped really nice, not that long of a pile. I am glad we got the deck over.

That would give that 4.3 a workout. I've had a few 4.3 trucks and they're rock solid dependable but they're still only 3/4 of a 350...
He has a completely different 4.3 than your thinking. This one should have 285hp and a 6 speed. Whole different animal.

That may be. The 2 I had extensive experience with were my Father's 1987 Scottsdale (TBI Iron head which always had a weird vibration and was slw but was a working mother) and my Wife's old 2005 1500 2wd reg cab short bed with a 5spd. The '05 ran circles around the '87 (as well it should have) BUT, it had highway gears and was one wheel drive. Driving it from KS to VA a few times I averaged about 22mpg with it but strap an empty 18' 7k car trailer to it and it was a dog... My old '97 F-150 with the 4.2v6 did better and it also had highway gears.

I'd actually like to find an older '89-95 F-150 4x4 long bed with the 4.9l 300cuin straight six with a 5spd manual. They had great low end torque and would make a great pasture truck/wood fetcher. Mileage wasn't a strong suit but for how I'd use it, it wouldn't be a show stopper.

Mdavlee-- you'll really like that 6.4 once you get the basics meaning intake, exhaust, programmer. Just those three things go from patsy to beast mode right now. Only plug and play motor that can crank 500-600 ponies depending on programmer with just those 3 items. 6.7 stroke falls on its face at 3000 rpm because the stock turbo set up can't push enough air. So basically without a big single or twins they're kinda limited similar to the 7.3 after basic mods without spendy go fast parts. Not taking away from them cuz they're nice rigs, just meaning plug and race performance dmax, Cummins, and 6.4 yield a guy basic mod horsepower. My $.02 though so I'm sure you've got a well thought out plan for the next buggy haha, good luck and safe cutting sir

I just borrowed my friends deck over this week to haul a load of demolition from the house we bought to the dump. Deckover is defiantly the way to go. I got so spoiled using that trailer. I can see one in my near future. How come you had to go so far to get it? Did you get a better deal by traveling so far?

I have been using my dodge to haul wood but since it got taken away thanks to the rear end issues, I ended up with a brand new ram and it ain't gonna see a stick of firewood. Picked up a 2001 GMC 1500 4x44 with the 5.3 for $1500. Will work nicely for hauling wood. Itt needs some work to become a daily driver though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

2013-08-31191819_zps0d855dff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
That may be. The 2 I had extensive experience with were my Father's 1987 Scottsdale (TBI Iron head which always had a weird vibration and was slw but was a working mother) and my Wife's old 2005 1500 2wd reg cab short bed with a 5spd. The '05 ran circles around the '87 (as well it should have) BUT, it had highway gears and was one wheel drive. Driving it from KS to VA a few times I averaged about 22mpg with it but strap an empty 18' 7k car trailer to it and it was a dog... My old '97 F-150 with the 4.2v6 did better and it also had highway gears.

I'd actually like to find an older '89-95 F-150 4x4 long bed with the 4.9l 300cuin straight six with a 5spd manual. They had great low end torque and would make a great pasture truck/wood fetcher. Mileage wasn't a strong suit but for how I'd use it, it wouldn't be a show stopper.

your right they do make great haulers, mileage is ok i get 16 mixed city highway 14 all city and 20 all highway, im also 18 years old so that should tell you how i drive it, not enough horsepower to really get in trouble

[/URL][/IMG]

2013-05-09184502_zps0c3559a4.jpg

Now that, is Wood P O R N ......!!!

Pullin' double quad axle trailers, probably a full complement of lockers, H&M front, in a beautiful KW,you'd have to beat me away with a big stick.

Yes but I don't look like that.

What mileage are ye getting on what configuration 5.7 vortec? I get 11 on a 96 2wd 2500 standard cab towing a 6x12 in basically city mileage all summer. Stop&go, 2 bobcat mowers on the trailer. Haven't got a chance to test unloaded highway miles. It's always loaded with something or other until winter.

What mileage are ye getting on what configuration 5.7 vortec? I get 11 on a 96 2wd 2500 standard cab towing a 6x12 in basically city mileage all summer. Stop&go, 2 bobcat mowers on the trailer. Haven't got a chance to test unloaded highway miles. It's always loaded with something or other until winter.
97' 1/2 ton x cab 4x4.

14 unloaded, 12 with a trailer. I had a 98 years back and I could squeak 15-16 unloaded. This one just never has done as well. This one has 245/75/16 with 3.73's. 98' had 265/75/16 with 3.73's.

Latest posts

Back