Wood ID 7-20-2017

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split one open and it was very wet inside. Smelled similar to apple mash when making cider. So... How do you cut, split etc for smokers? I had a customer inquire if I had any apple...which I didn't then... but hey, I can probably sell this next year when it seasons. Any tips?

most of mine i cut at 16" and split it like everything else. don't ask me why but it is still a premium wood here even though there are 1,000's of acres of apple orchards here. maybe because it's such a PITA. i sold these last year for $75 and could have sold more. some people drove over 50 miles for it.:crazy2:
20161105_143428_resized.jpg

Get a good whiff of a fresh split, it should be very apparent that it's apple that you have there. In my experience smoking with apple variety is not that important. Even crab apple wood makes pork sing on the smoker.
In my barrel cooker I use 6" split lengths and about 2 to 3 square inches in girth. Six to eight pieces will smoke an average pork roast. I usually get the fire started with charcoal and then add the smokin' wood in two batches. Use indirect heat with the roast over a pan to catch the drippings. Baste occasionally.

Dang, I'm getting hungry thinking about it. Gasp!

Back