Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
Reaction score
Thought I might start a firewood reference thread. Trying to add as many examples as possible. Please feel free to correct me on mistakes and add on anything you can come up with.

Red Oak

red%20oak.jpg

red%20oak%20b.jpg

whash1.JPG

wash2.JPG

Hickory

hick1.jpg

hick2.jpg

Black Walnut

blawal1.JPG

blawal2.JPG

Last edited:
Great thread...I have been wanting to do this just havn't had the time...I will definatly add to it...

Silver Maple

silvmaple1.jpg

silvmaple2.jpg

Honey Locust

honeylocust.jpg

honeylocust%20bark.JPG

Black Locust

blacklocust%20bark.JPG

blacklocust%20xsec.JPG

Ironwood

ironwood%20xsec.JPG

ironwood%20bark.JPG

Last edited:
Stihl-O,
I was joking ! I think you are right it is Ash. around here Silver Maple is an easy to pick out tree because the bark is so different then the others. Ash is hard for me to tell until I split it. the insides tell the secret. But what do I know....all that you guys have taught me.
Good thread. Hope it catches on.
A

Cherry

cherry.jpg

Black Birch

BlBirch_Bark_335_HR_Sachar_930_034.jpg

Used Firewood

ashes.jpg

MORE TO FOLLOW

Last edited:
Bump

Any chance this is worth a sticky so it doesnt get lost?

Are you sure that first picture is Red Oak? The rings look too far apart and the bark looks too course.

Are you sure that first picture is Red Oak? The rings look too far apart and the bark looks too course.

yeah buts it a bad pic and is skewed a little. I had a pic to replace it but can edit it now.

another red oak
Red_Oak_White_Oak_Pine_Logs_Wood_And_Lumber.jpg

:agree2:

Although it could just be the regional differences we're noticing... To me that looks more like pin oak though, the red oak around here is a pink salmon color with greenish bark that's more smooth.

any chance you guys can put leaf picture next to each type also?

Cheers

Maybe add on leafs separate but after a certain date it seems you cant edit posts anymore so cant add to the old ones

Nice!

Sure enjoyed looking at all those different kinds of wood.. Very pretty stuff. I do think I got a burned firewood tree next to my wood stove! Double checking! Again thanks.. enjoyed the pics

Back