Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, It wasn't the easiest to split, so I only did a few rounds and decided to check first. If it was as easy as Ash I would have just split it all and asked later! :)

Ok guys, I've ran into something I'm not sure what it is. There is a few pieces of cherry in one or two of these pics. It's the other stuff I'm wondering about.

IMG-20131123-00264.jpg IMG-20131123-00263.jpg IMG-20131123-00266.jpg IMG-20131123-00265.jpg

Oh and one more picture of the same tree. Except this one I took for the Poison Ivy vines all over it. Yep, I stopped cutting and went back to the barn here. I just got over a month long p. ivy ordeal.

IMG-20131123-00262.jpg

Picked this up yesterday, any thoughts? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Easy splitting nearly explodes with maul. pale sapwood, dark yellow heartwood wide growth rings. Water flying with non splitting hits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Not sure what this is but I needed some wood to tune a few saws to sell so I went to my Uncles farm and dropped a tree real quick to bring home some logs. Any idea what this is? Im really hoping its not Walnut....Im not supposed to cut any Walnut trees. It was late and close to dark so I was in a hurry, just hoping its Elm or something besides Walnut!

Not sure what this is but I needed some wood to tune a few saws to sell so I went to my Uncles farm and dropped a tree real quick to bring home some logs. Any idea what this is? Im really hoping its not Walnut....Im not supposed to cut any Walnut trees. It was late and close to dark so I was in a hurry, just hoping its Elm or something besides Walnut!

Not sure what this is but I needed some wood to tune a few saws to sell so I went to my Uncles farm and dropped a tree real quick to bring home some logs. Any idea what this is? Im really hoping its not Walnut....Im not supposed to cut any Walnut trees. It was late and close to dark so I was in a hurrry, just hoping its Elm or something besides Walnut!

Nop-e, not Walnut! You lucked out and cut yourself some Elm. We call that "River Elm" around here.

Nop-e, not Walnut! You lucked out and cut yourself some Elm. We call that "River Elm" around here.

Thanks guys... I was thinking Elm but i knew the are other types of Walnut besides Black Walnut. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a Walnut!

What's this?

Doesn't show up very well, but its dark green inside, seems to be a softwood of some sorts. It was free, along with some walnut. Figured it'd make some good campfire wood..

Can any one give me a guess as to what this tree use to be?
I can tell you it is very dense/heavy compared to what I usually scrounge which is ash.
Electric company cut this tree down and the home owner called me to grab the main trunk
sheriffwood1.jpg sheriffwood3.jpg sheriffwood2.jpg

Can any one give me a guess as to what this tree use to be?
I can tell you it is very dense/heavy compared to what I usually scrounge which is ash.
Electric company cut this tree down and the home owner called me to grab the main trunk
View attachment 362657 View attachment 362659 View attachment 362658
That's Honey Locust... Many along the East coast were planted as shade trees, and there is a thornless cultivar of them, so if that one didn't have thorns, count yourself as fortunate!!
Good wood... Takes 2 years to be great, but 1 year seasoning will work..

Thanks hedgerow.
There were no thorns, so I was a bit confused and ruled out the locust.
Yes, it is very wet/sappy/juicey wood
Will definitely take a while to season. It is going on my 2015-16 winter pile

I can ID every bit of the above wood with one word............burnable
Yall see, I classify wood in two categories, burnable and non burnable, Burnable is all seasoned hardwood’s, non burnable is pine

I'll burn pine...
I'm a firewood whore...
My Grand father taught me how to install and use a wood stove, and he said "never burn pine" He died back in 79 and I have never questioned what he said
Just like he said to install a wood stove 36 inches away from a wall, well when I put mine in I used that black fibreboard and according to the math on the back, I could have installed it 18 inches away form the wall, but I installed it 36 inches away like granddad said to do without question :)
Yes its a little having to do with respect for my elders, but its also the fact that my grandfather was the smartest person I have ever met in my entire life, and I'm 51, I have been to college work, and done a lot of stuff

It's one thing to know what to do...

It's another, to know why you're doing it...
I had a fella tell me one day, that whatever I do, don't burn cherry...
It'll burn your house down...

Latest posts

Back