Wood Splitter Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it's definitely a K series engine

Check the head bolt pattern to help narrow down the ID:

6 - K91
7 - K161 or 181
9 - K241. 301, or 321
10 - K341

Here's a link to the K series shop manual http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

Thanks Bert, that really helped a lot! In looking through the shop manual and an owners manual I also found online, I've narrowed it down to the K161 or 181, either 7 or 8 HP. The only difference I can find is in the stroke length. If I think of it, I might go ahead and check, but whether it's the 7HP or 8HP doesn't really matter much at this point, as I find I'm running at less than 1/2 throttle and doing just fine with it. Relatively quiet and sippy on the gas compared to WOT, which is nice. Started first pull every time today! Gotta love that and the easy pull that was easily accomplished left-handed and off angle too!

It's nice to have the manuals though for any future repairs. Thanks again for the help! :msp_thumbsup:

its on the slow side but it works well, it needs a bigger motor.
A bigger engine in its self won't speed it up or make it more powerful. The pulley setup runs the pump at about half speed. Depending on engine horsepower a 2-stage 11 or 16 gpm pump could be installed with direct drive for max. performance.

A 7 hp. engine will not operate a 22 gpm pump of any type at rated capacity. A 22 gpm single stage pump would require between 45-50 hp to develop 3000 psi. A 22 gpm 2-stage pump requires a 12 hp min..

A 7 hp. engine will not operate a 22 gpm pump of any type at rated capacity. A 22 gpm single stage pump would require between 45-50 hp to develop 3000 psi. A 22 gpm 2-stage pump requires a 12 hp min..

yea that's what i have came to figure out, the splitter had a bigger motor on it at one point.

how could i find out if its a 2-stage pump, all i could find out is that its right around 22gpm but not much more?

yea that's what i have came to figure out, the splitter had a bigger motor on it at one point.

how could i find out if its a 2-stage pump, all i could find out is that its right around 22gpm but not much more?

Probably too simplistic, but any chance there's any badge or plate with a model number on it the pump?

I am not aware of any belt driven two stage pumps on the market. Most are a single stage, and if used with a small motor, typically very low on volume. Get yourself a two stage bolted to the output shaft of the motor and ROCK that bad boy.

A little time for wash and wax...getting ready for the next season.

IMG_20130820_191853_143_zpsc36e2fd7.jpg

Latest posts

Back