Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valley! He posted the 4th post. Wowser just wrote bush cord so that there would be no confusion as to how much wood he was cutting.

4th post is a dude hitting a horse with a stick.

Saying a cord would have confused no one. It's common knowledge what a cord is. I was just curious, never heard of a bush cord.

Wowzer, I used the crap hose that Princess Auto recommends for line and it collapsed and already seized my new pump. Take a look at the splitter sitting in the hydraulic section and tell them you want the same hose except they don't sell it. Need something will a spring inside or just use bigger hydraulic hose and be done with it. I bought my filter from there but forget what size it was but I'm sure it was on sale when I bought it.

Wowzer, I used the crap hose that Princess Auto recommends for line and it collapsed and already seized my new pump. Take a look at the splitter sitting in the hydraulic section and tell them you want the same hose except they don't sell it. Need something will a spring inside or just use bigger hydraulic hose and be done with it. I bought my filter from there but forget what size it was but I'm sure it was on sale when I bought it.

Was that for the suction side of things or return? I got the suction hose from Princess Auto. I got real 2 wire from Cotrils in town but couldn't get it on it was too stiff.

Yeah section hose should be stiff. The good stuff isn't cheap either, around $10 a ft, depending on size.

I buy most of my hoses from the surplus center comes right to my door and I am done. I have not had to beat any horses in the process. I usually go a little more volume than is needed or if I get more power or something. Maybe not, do not think more than 30 GPM is possible. Thanks

You all get so panicked over a stupid filter!! IF your system gets hot enough to disperse any moisture, then there is nothing that needs filtering, it is a closed system. How do thing any dirt will get in ?????????

what do you have for a filter and hoses on yours? i have 1/2" hose that was already on there from the Wallenstien, and i'm looking at the specs for the 1/2" filter housing, and it's saying 5gpm only will i need to go up to 12 or ore because of my pump that's on there or?
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-2-in-npt-in-line-filter-head/A-p8076069e
All my lines are 3/4", and the suction line is bigger than that, I think 1.25" or so. I use this for the filter:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...1-4-NPT-70-GPM-ZINGA-RETURN-FILTER-9-4543.axd

I need the high gpm, as on my return stroke I'm right around the 65gpm mark.

You all get so panicked over a stupid filter!! IF your system gets hot enough to disperse any moisture, then there is nothing that needs filtering, it is a closed system. How do thing any dirt will get in ?????????
Cylinder wear, pump wear, metal shavings.............what ever floats your boat man. Filters are cheap insurance. YMMV.

Darn guess I am going to have to watch out ran mine close to 40 years with no filter, must be living on the edge!!!!!!

Yeah you can run a system without a filter for a long time. The larger the volume of wood that you run through your system the more possibilities that either dirt or some contamination will occur. One time I saw a hose deteriorate with the particles floating around it finally plugged the bypass. A filter is inexpensive insurance. Thanks

Wowzer, it was the suction line, the dude said it would be fine. I agree a filter is not critical but cheap insurance even on a closed system. My 36" splitter has a spare valve on it with quick couplers that I can use to run other things such as a lifter or even another splitter. This allows dirt and crap to get in the system so I put a filter on it. I would bet that most of the crap in a simple splitter is put there during the building process and not from wear when using it.
Wowzer, don't ever waste your time going to Princess Auto in Kitchener for hydraulic stuff, I have more fittings here than they have. Waste of a trip but I was going to Millbank Hardware anyway. Owen Sound has the best supply but it's a newer store to and all those rednecks up there like Wood Nazi like to build stuff so they have good stock.

A bit of advice on the reservoir cap , the one that I had used a nut and bolt setup to hold the retaining spring clip , the nut vibrated off into the reservoir at some point .... Check the cap .

Schitty parts , that's what the filter is there for .

I guess from all my research and picking up a point there from GRimmy I will need to find out of many GPM the return cycyle will have no? And then buy a filterhousing to suite.

Latest posts

Back