Wood stove and chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3 Driver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First time post here but I did try a quick search and couldn't find anything.

My wife and I bought 20 acres of wooded mountain ground that we will be building a house on this spring. We are looking at geo thermal heat/cooling with a wood stove insert backup in the living room fireplace. We both like the Harmon 300i. Does anyone here have any experience with this wood stove and I haven't been able to find any online reviews.

Second part is a good all around chainsaw for felling trees and cutting firewood. Most of the trees on the property are less then 18 inches and I've inherited an old. 026 Stihl. Wondering what saw you guys would recommend to compliment it. I'd like to stay with Stihl as we have an excellent dealer network close by. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 221
I've inherited an old. 026 Stihl. Wondering what saw you guys would recommend to compliment it.

All you need to compliment that Stihl 026 is a can of 50:1, bar and chain oil and some 3/16" files. lol

With 20 acres of 18" trees you're in business. Harman is an excellent brand. My experience has been with the SF-160 boiler and it was made before Dane Harman was bought out. Dane still works there though and in my mind they are top-shelf.

That 026 and an 18" bar will do everything you need. Learn how to sharpen and maintain chains - took me almost 10 years before I figured out how to do it properly and that was 10 years too late! I have 2 saws so when one gets stuck or broke I have a backup. I have had very good luck with stihls. Only regular maintenance on either of them.

I have a 260 (newer 026) and upgraded to a 362. Way faster, but the 260 did what I needed for a long time. I will probably get a 460 or 441 in the future as it would be nice to have more oomph in large trees (24"+)

I agree with using the 026, run it till its gone then go find another one, you only need one saw, just like all of us at AS. Get lots of saws like this group has, but you only need one. Welcome to the asylum, escape is impossible.

Beautiful property! Harmon is a great brand and your 026 will be a start. Get a second bar and chain just in case you get pinched. You can then just swap the powerhead off the pinched bar to the spare and cut yourself free. Also get a pair of chaps, cheap insurance for that inevitable oops... Sharp chains are a must. The Husqvarna $15 kit works well. Look for a good splitting axe or maul. My preference for that size wood is a Fiskars X27.

Mostly search this forum and read all you can. There is a wealth of knowledge here, most learned the hard way!
Welcome and prepare to be assimilated, resitance is futile! :chainsaw: :chop:

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. Also anyone have any plans for a chainsaw caddy to keep all your goodies in. Files, extra bars, gas, oil etc.

Baldon has a good point.

Try to keep your chains you are running in the same gauge/pitch though on a two saw plan. That's the good thing about 50/70cc you can run 3/8" on both with say 16" and 25" or 28" respectively. I don't see the need for that much saw, though. Emphasize your cutting technique and go minimum on the powerhead requirement especially in steep country.

Find a Makita 6401. They can be had fairly inexpensively. Same as a Dolmar 6400. Used for $300 or so. Don't limit yourself to one orange brand. An old plastic milk cratehas carried all my stuffs for quite a while.

Amen. Call the Home Depots in your area when/if you want to replace your saw. Picked up a 6421 recently for $265. A HD in Delaware recently sold two for $215 each. Can't beat that price.

Back