Woodmizer Lt15go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodMizer website has a place to look at used mills, might want to look there?

Scott (WM is fun) B

I believe the "go" means that it has the towing package. Unless you are planning on mobile milling, I'd look at other mills in that price range. Not knocking WM, but there are a lot of others out there. Consider the engine hp. and size of log it can handle.

Sorry if this question sounds dim, but how does the slanted blade of the EZ Boardwalk improve things please? Bigger logs? Less force somehow? Better cut surface on the lumber?

The slanted blade helps pull the mill through the log like a chainsaw pulls without the dogs, takes a lot less pushing force than straight across mills. Far as log size the EZ Boardwalk is just built a lot bigger than a LT15 WM. Steve

Thank you mountainlake. That makes sense now. I did glance at the photo on their website but got the impression it was vertically slanted, which I couldn't understand.

What's a standard log length up there? The EZ has about a foot less log length capacity, but a foot more log diameter.

If it's less work for the EZ mill because of the angled attack to the log, any reason why they don't offer a similar 18hp option like WM?

We all know what happens to our chips (dust and small chips to larger chips and then noodles) when changing the bar angle with our chainsaws, so could the EZ blades benefit from slightly different teeth geometry from standard to make the best of the potential benefits? Have any EZ owners experimented in this regard or further changed the blade angle of attack?

Thanks for the responses. The guy sold it before I had a chance to go look at it. Still looking but I think I may add a FX65 or FX90 skidding winch to the arsenal this spring before a new to me band mill.

Thank you mountainlake. That makes sense now. I did glance at the photo on their website but got the impression it was vertically slanted, which I couldn't understand.

What's a standard log length up there? The EZ has about a foot less log length capacity, but a foot more log diameter.

If it's less work for the EZ mill because of the angled attack to the log, any reason why they don't offer a similar 18hp option like WM?

We all know what happens to our chips (dust and small chips to larger chips and then noodles) when changing the bar angle with our chainsaws, so could the EZ blades benefit from slightly different teeth geometry from standard to make the best of the potential benefits? Have any EZ owners experimented in this regard or further changed the blade angle of attack?

It looks like the EZ40 comes with a 24 or 25 HP motor and will want every bit of that in a wide cut in hard wood, 18hp would be OK for smaller softwood. A Amish guy has one near me and said running a standard 10* hook blade it take very little effort to push, it almost pulls itself along. Steve

Really?
I have a 10HP and can easily cut 20" wide dry Hickory...no problem.

Or is bandsaw milling turning into chainsaw milling, where you need 5,000hp to cut anything....jeez?

Scott (if the band is sharp, it'll cut fine) B

How fast can your 10 hp mill cut 20" dry Hickory, my mill came with a 27 HP Kohler gas which was painfully slow in wide hardwood then I put on a 30 hp diesel which cuts about twice as fast in those wide hard cuts and uses way less fuel. Low hp will cut small softwood just fine. Steve

Thanks for the responses. The guy sold it before I had a chance to go look at it. Still looking but I think I may add a FX65 or FX90 skidding winch to the arsenal this spring before a new to me band mill.

I gotta tell ya, my FX90 is one of my all time best purchases...

standard.jpg

I've skidded some big logs with it,

standard.jpg

It takes a decent sized tractor to skid the big logs out though, unless you have easy skidding.

As for HP and BSM's, with things equal, it really depends on how fast you want to cut, with lower HP you just go slower...

As for the LT15, I've run a couple of them, looks like a good mill, but I'm sure glad I don't have to screw around with that rope and crank on my Lumbermate!! I'd MUCH rather push the head through the log...

SR

Fast enough Steve.

By your calculations, a WM1000 would only be big enough to cut 35" wood.....what is the cut width on that?
A Lucas slabber would only be good for about 22" wide timber.....what is their cut width again?

I guess it comes do to knowing what you're doing, not talking about what you think you should be able to do....

Scott (last I'll say to you about it...troll on) B

I gotta tell ya, my FX90 is one of my all time best purchases...

standard.jpg

I've skidded some big logs with it,

standard.jpg

It takes a decent sized tractor to skid the big logs out though, unless you have easy skidding.

As for HP and BSM's, with things equal, it really depends on how fast you want to cut, with lower HP you just go slower...

As for the LT15, I've run a couple of them, looks like a good mill, but I'm sure glad I don't have to screw around with that rope and crank on my Lumbermate!! I'd MUCH rather push the head through the log...

SR
I'm curious to know what size tractor you have. I have a New Holland TC45DA. Biggest tree I might have to skid or winch might hit 24". We don't have any big oak or elm trees here, just spruce and poplars. Not sure if I would need the FX90 or if the FX65 would be adequate for what I would be doing. I don't know anyone personally who is using one of these winches. What's your opinion on the FX90? Do you think I need 350 lbs more weight and 2500 extra lbs of pull it has over the FX65. I'm moving into a whole different world since I got this tractor and I don't want to make the mistake of by buying to to lite or to heavy duty. Read quite a few old posts about skidding winchs here and elsewhere, but not to much discussion out there regarding what might be better suited for a tractor of my size. Maybe a topic for another thread.

You have a fairly light tractor with about 39 PTO HP, I'm going to say the FX65 is all the winch you will need on "that" tractor. IF you think you will ever buy a heavier/higher HP tractor, get the FX90...

My loader tractor is a "farm" tractor, farm tractors are a heavier built tractor, it has 60 PTO HP... There have been a few times with extreme pulls that I could have used the FX120, but for the most part, my FX90 is matched quite well to my tractor.

SR

I bought the FX 120. I didn't want to be lacking in pulling power so I went bigger. I have a 65 horse Duetz 4x4 with chains all the way around. I don't have a loader on the tractor but even with weights on the front it gets a little light on the front end when you have a full hitch and going uphill. The winch has done all I've asked of it and I am satisfied with it. I used to own a JD 540 skidder but I have downsized my firewooding and this Wallenstein winch works well for my personal needs.

Back