woods port saw video thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're the one I wanted an opinion from. Interesting, though I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I'm missing something in how I'm reading it, I think.

I built a 460 with a hemi chamber that will beat all the D jugs I've done. 15* Of blowdown.

On a hybrid, I don't think I'll raise them as much.

I postulate that is why you beat everyone with a popup in that meet. You understood what you were doing and took advantage of what the factory gave you.
The best running 046/460's I've done have been round chamber cylinders.
I ported my round chamber 460 6 or 8 years ago with a popup 064 piston and until recently I never could build one stronger,it's 100 115 80
I can beat it now by a good bit with a oe piston and 20+ blowdown.

The last hybrid i did I ground it to dust,everything about the transfers are giant and it's by far my best and the one I posted the videos of a couple pages back.

Lots of ways to make one run good.
Numbers and blowdown are part of it but not the end all be all.

I said it before,the reason a lot of guys have better results with the short blowdown cylinders is because you don't have to raise the transfers as far and the angles aren't lost.
Also in Stock form they have more compression and are timed better so they run better.
Ported I can't tell any difference.

The best running 046/460's I've done have been round chamber cylinders.
I ported my round chamber 460 6 or 8 years ago with a popup 064 piston and until recently I never could build one stronger,it's 100 115 80
I can beat it now by a good bit with a oe piston and 20+ blowdown.

The last hybrid i did I ground it to dust,everything about the transfers are giant and it's by far my best and the one I posted the videos of a couple pages back.

Lots of ways to make one run good.
Numbers and blowdown are part of it but not the end all be all.

What's the blowdown on your latest hybrid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it had 21 degrees
I'm starting another one in a couple days and look forward to it.
I use to hate them for a,work saw but I'm liking them better

Are you going to try one with tight transfers like deeter and mike? Or stick with the wide open design?

Are you going to try one with tight transfers like deeter and mike? Or stick with the wide open design?

I built several that way before and didn't like them but granted they didn't run like there's.
I'll try something different I'm sure

I built several that way before and didn't like them but granted they didn't run like there's.
I'll try something different I'm sure

It's very interesting to me how things work different for different people. It would be nice to know what all is being done differently that makes something not work for one and work fantastic for another. It's obviously more than a set of numbers.

It's very interesting to me how things work different for different people. It would be nice to know what all is being done differently that makes something not work for one and work fantastic for another. It's obviously more than a set of numbers.

I always used as close to stock transfers as I could because I would kill the saw when I tried to open them any but it wasn't the size it was the roof and entry angles that I was killing.
I thought I ground to much but I didn't grind enough.

A 394 for instance, the transfers might need raised 13-15 degrees and if you raise all of it then you are going to be there a while.
Raise all of it so you maintain the roof angle and keep it aimed hard for the intake and you can grind all you want on the lower and tunnel just as long as the mouth is the smallest part.

Doesn't matter how big you make it as long as you do that.

Same with a exhaust port,raise it all,I use a little straight edge to keep it flat.

Flat file will knock it flat quick.

Looks like a D jug!
Nope just a 460 cylinder.
I have a first year 046 that has one but it broke about a Inch up from the base all the way around,not sure why.
It still ran but the flywheel side bearing shelled and I found this taking it apart to fix the bearing.20170426_234923.jpg

He got lucky is all, you're over thinking it. Every Dog have its day.:D
Nah...

Once the numbers really start to make sense to you, you start to realize why some jugs call for a popup and why some don't.

A popup is not just a cheaper way to increase compression. It's a way to adjust where your upper transfers are gonna land after machine work. Sometimes a band cut and a popup are needed based on what you want and what you're starting with.

Nah...

Once the numbers really start to make sense to you, you start to realize why some jugs call for a popup and why some don't.

A popup is not just a cheaper way to increase compression. It's a way to adjust where your upper transfers are gonna land after machine work. Sometimes a band cut and a popup are needed based on what you want and what you're starting with.

It's taken me a while to get it. But I have a pretty good grasp of it now. Before I would just build to a number because someone said they were good numbers, now I understand what's going on. You've helped a lot Doc.

Brad does yours have a lot of intake duration?
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it's probably at 85 and as wide as the skirt and ring ends will allow.

You're the one I wanted an opinion from. Interesting, though I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I'm missing something in how I'm reading it, I think.

I built a 460 with a hemi chamber that will beat all the D jugs I've done. 15* Of blowdown.

On a hybrid, I don't think I'll raise them as much.

I postulate that is why you beat everyone with a popup in that meet. You understood what you were doing and took advantage of what the factory gave you.
The best runner would likely be the hemi chamber and short blowdown. I think a lot of guys believe the d-chamber is what makes them stronger, but it's not. It's the short blowdown.

Brad do you find short blowdown works better for you on the 460's and the hybrids?
Yes, both.

The more you grind the less intake and exhaust duration you need.
Please explain. I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying.

Back