woods port saw video thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason I can't thank you enough my friend for everything you've done. This saw was my grandfathers he bought second hand from a tree service years ago. So you can imagine how it was treated, but he used it to heat his home and family for many years. At his death I ended up with the saw. I didn't know anything about woodported saws, this is all new to me but the saw was wore out and weak and needed a rebuild. Long story short I contacted Jason, and here we are my friend. I can't wait to use it man, and it has been a pleasure doing business with you. Thanks again buddy

chain looks a little grabby ;) Got some ripped fibers in those chips .:cheers:View attachment 586259
Less grabby. 10° up into the corner instead of under your leading edge will give you the long shavings on a cross cut.
That should be in your manual Brian:reading:
Lol
Describe is textbook filling but I don't get a chance to file that way often but its a nice smooth glid. Best for falling cuts using the dogs apart from Cedar which likes a big hook. Not as clean in the brush either or great for limbing. Just depends on the kind of job.

I don't use semi chisel so I couldn't be completely certain of the chip formation here. If he is not filing up into the corner then it would have to be shavings of the side as semi chisel cuts partially from the side as well as the top plate.

Less grabby. 10° up into the corner instead of under your leading edge will give you the long shavings on a cross cut.
That should be in your manual Brian:reading:
Lol
Describe is textbook filling but I don't get a chance to file that way often but its a nice smooth glid. Best for falling cuts using the dogs apart from Cedar which likes a big hook. Not as clean in the brush either or great for limbing. Just depends on the kind of job.

I don't use semi chisel so I couldn't be completely certain of the chip formation here. If he is not filing up into the corner then it would have to be shavings of the side as semi chisel cuts partially from the side as well as the top plate.
There is a manual ?

Those are cedar chips by the way,.404 skip chisel chain .otoofive on the rakey things.

It's by hand. I'm not the best at it by no means. I have a Stihl grinder but not the square attachment. I wish I did
I've never filed it, but have a new loop of the stihl here at the house. I've been very close to buying a square grinder many times, but never pulled the trigger. I have three different grinders at the house, one for 325, one for 3/8 and one for rakers, a square would be the natural progression ;).

I like the square as long as the wood doesn't have dirt on it. It self feeds nice and Could make the whole cut one handed
This is one of the reasons i run square ,the smoothness ,not the speed .When you get it right it will self feed a bucking cut on its own not using the dogs at all ,but wont be so grabby you cant hold the saw with one hand .

(edit ) i think we are derailing all this saw video stuff

Back