Woods porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm young and don't know much but aren't strato chainsaw engines for big manufacturers a new thing? That has change porting procedures doesn't it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Redmax claims they introduced the strato technology 15 years ago.

From Redmax's site:

Technology

Strato-Charged Engine Technology

Introduced in 1998, our state-of-the-art Strato-Charged® engines are designed with advanced technology that reduces impact on the environment through efficient engine design, increased fuel economy and reduced emissions.

For ten years, this proven technology has delivered maximum performance in a light, rugged design with outstanding features that set it apart from the competition. The Strato-Charged® 2-stroke engine:

• Achieves up to 20% more fuel efficiency than standard 2-stroke engines

• Produces low emissions that meet regulations without the need for a heated, heavy catalytic converter

• Requires no valve adjustments, oil changes or daily oil reservoir level checks

• Generates 15 to 20% more horsepower than a typical 4-stroke or 4-stroke hybrid engine of the same engine displacement size

RedMax’s Strato-Charged® 2-stroke engines operate at maximum efficiency with just three moving parts. By comparison, 4-stroke or 4-stroke hybrid engines contain as many as 30 moving parts. RedMax Strato-Charged® 2-stroke engines are 20 to 25% lighter per same engine size as compared to 4-strokes or 4-stroke hybrids, resulting in much less operator fatigue. Engines with a high power to weight ratio and a high-power output per engine cc size are classified as high-performance engines, and these are the only type of engines made by RedMax.

It is easy to identify RedMax products that include our patented Strato-Charged® engine technology: Simply look for a “Z” in the model number.

Last edited:
Redmax claims they introduced the strato technology 15 years ago.

From Redmax's site:

Technology

Strato-Charged Engine Technology

Introduced in 1998, our state-of-the-art Strato-Charged® engines are designed with advanced technology that reduces impact on the environment through efficient engine design, increased fuel economy and reduced emissions.

For ten years, this proven technology has delivered maximum performance in a light, rugged design with outstanding features that set it apart from the competition. The Strato-Charged® 2-stroke engine:

• Achieves up to 20% more fuel efficiency than standard 2-stroke engines

• Produces low emissions that meet regulations without the need for a heated, heavy catalytic converter

• Requires no valve adjustments, oil changes or daily oil reservoir level checks

• Generates 15 to 20% more horsepower than a typical 4-stroke or 4-stroke hybrid engine of the same engine displacement size

RedMax’s Strato-Charged® 2-stroke engines operate at maximum efficiency with just three moving parts. By comparison, 4-stroke or 4-stroke hybrid engines contain as many as 30 moving parts. RedMax Strato-Charged® 2-stroke engines are 20 to 25% lighter per same engine size as compared to 4-strokes or 4-stroke hybrids, resulting in much less operator fatigue. Engines with a high power to weight ratio and a high-power output per engine cc size are classified as high-performance engines, and these are the only type of engines made by RedMax.

It is easy to identify RedMax products that include our patented Strato-Charged® engine technology: Simply look for a “Z” in the model number.

I wouldn't consider Redmax a main manufacturer. Not one where someone would want to run out and port every saw they come out with, i.e. Stihl, Husqvarna or Dolmar.

Yeah I knew it wasn't new. But just newly getting popular (forcefully?) with chainsaws.

Oh, I thought you were citing that as chainsaw specific. You seemed to take issue that Gordon Jennings book wasn't written specifically about chainsaws.

Sure but that isn't specific to chainsaws. Sure it gives you the means to figure out a ton about porting but I think what's being discussed is the little details that tie everything together. Chainsaws can get very sensitive and specific.

I have read through Jenning's book a couple of times, and while it is full of theory and technical information, it doesn't give what most people wanting to get their feet wet with porting want, which is pictures.

I have read through Jenning's book a couple of times, and while it is full of theory and technical information, it doesn't give what most people wanting to get their feet wet with porting want, which is pictures.

Very true, but no pictures doesn't mean the information didn't exist or is groundbreaking because someone took a picture.

Lots of people think that because they weren't aware of something it didn't exist. That's ignorance, not innovation.

Oh, I thought you were citing that as chainsaw specific. You seemed to take issue that Gordon Jennings book wasn't written specifically about chainsaws.

I was just stating that that book has been around a long time, but this forum holds unbelievable amounts of specific chainsaw porting tips/tricks/advice. Of which probably have never been documented before.

I was just stating that that book has been around a long time, but this forum holds unbelievable amounts of specific chainsaw porting tips/tricks/advice. Of which probably have never been documented before.

And I just asked for an example.:D

It is just an engine, the engine doesn't know if it's a chainsaw or a rc airplane.

It is just an engine, the engine doesn't know if it's a chainsaw or a rc airplane.

Ahhh...but we do.:blob2: Isn't there differences in porting with work saws and race saws and rpms and toque and whatnot? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm still new here, still learning.

Much of Jennings writings are geared towards applications using tuned pipes. It is very useful in understanding the theory of two-stroke porting, but like much technical writing, it's application in real world is limited to those who are well versed in the subject and who are looking to take their work to the next level where tenths of a percent are critical. I know that guys building race saws pour through to glean those little nuggets of information for that small advantage, but for the average guy wanting to port his saw, it is more productive to look at pics, ask questions on a forum, and buy a few cheap saws to destroy.

Much of Jennings writings are geared towards applications using tuned pipes. It is very useful in understanding the theory of two-stroke porting, but like much technical writing, it's application in real world is limited to those who are well versed in the subject and who are looking to take their work to the next level where tenths of a percent are critical. I know that guys building race saws pour through to glean those little nuggets of information for that small advantage, but for the average guy wanting to port his saw, it is more productive to look at pics, ask questions on a forum, and buy a few cheap saws to destroy.

I don't disagree, but others made the point that there have been innovations in the last few years with regards to chainsaw porting. What are they? What are people doing now that wasn't being done 10 or even 20 years ago?

Last edited:
I don't disagree, but the point was made that there have been innovations in the last few years with regards to chainsaw porting. What are they? What are people doing now that wasn't being done 10 or even 20 years ago?

DON'T try to include me in that arguement. I have not made any comment about the techical innovations used in porting a saw. What I did do was state that Jennings is very theoretical and probably not the best use of someone's time who is just getting into porting.

DON'T try to include me in that arguement. I have not made any comment about the techical innovations used in porting a saw. What I did do was state that Jennings is very theoretical and probably not the best use of someone's time who is just getting into porting.

I wasn't trying to lump you in, edited for clarity.

Hmmmmmmmm

Posting phone videos of ported saws cutting same log. Gives a direct comparison. 20 years ago phone videos were scarce.

I still feel the gains in performance can only be taken advantage of by having a sharp chain,

And not putting the chain on backwards.:(

Tom, while not strictly related to porting, guys like mweba (and likely others, I just don't know who offhand) are working to use the AutoTune software to improve how the Husky AT saws respond after porting.

Although I do understand the AT system works fairly well at managing a ported saw, if there are more gains to be had by learning a little code, it's a good thing. People were afraid of EFI when it came around in cars, now the tuner chips make any backyard oil changer into a hot rodder.

What a woods port entails is ever evolving. It used to mean not much more than widening the ports. It's only in the last couple of years that you could expect significant compression increases, ignition advance, etc. Builders pushing builders makes for a buyers market:clap:

I don't disagree, but others made the point that there have been innovations in the last few years with regards to chainsaw porting. What are they? What are people doing now that wasn't being done 10 or even 20 years ago?

Are you referring to my post, quoted above?

Back