Woods porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you just threw chains away after each use,man you guys are teaching me lots of new things. and wow o woow chain saws can be ported. what will they think of next auto tuning carbs.

I'm wondering "when" the evolution of the finger or boost port is coming in works saws, especially with all that high compression?.......Hahahahahahaha!

question for the builders , is there some place to get info for timing #'s ,or is it something handed down from builder to builder from a lot of trial and error ? i noticed different builders have different approaches to their work ,all increase power but differently .iv'e torn down engines ,some have extensive piston mods ,when others just do the passages

In simple terms my ported 372xpw cuts even with my dual port 066 with 32" bar and weighs 3# less. Hope thats the simple answer your looking for. More power everywhere.

No doubt that will depend partly on who does it, and which saw model it is. I also believe the 372xp responds better to mods than most other models.

Edit* I would be interested to hear what a "woods" port mean to others. And to be clear, my post isn't questioning anyones work, just the terminology behind "woods" port. It was a discussion I had with a friend earlier tonight oddly enough.

Jeff here is something I said years ago.

Woods porting has 2 ends of that yard stick.

Fast woods ported gtg saw that get a little hot if worked hard all day, then you have the dependable woods ported work saw you could work with for a living. When I was doing the gtg thing I wanted the fastest cookie cutter in a woods port.

Work saw woods port to me would be stock parts used that came on the chainsaw. To me a woods port work saw should not need different pistons, carb, carb drilling, finger ports, cut plugs or WS5E short plugs to clear piston, spacers under cylinders and I could keep listing items.

Start changing the above and then you have a hotter woods port geared toward faster cut times and gtg saws.

I'm wondering "when" the evolution of the finger or boost port is coming in works saws, especially with all that high compression?.......Hahahahahahaha!

Big Dave put a set of finger ports in my 7900. It was a woods ported work saw with offset pop up that could cut a cookie too. :msp_thumbsup:

Sent it out west when I was done playing and the saw earned it's living flawlessly out there.

Big Dave put a set of finger ports in my 7900. It was a woods ported work saw with offset pop up that could cut a cookie too. :msp_thumbsup:

Sent it out west when I was done playing and the saw earned it's living flawlessly out there.

What happened with Big Dave, did he just retire? :msp_confused:

Simply put: The day I stop learning will be the day I die so ingrained in me is that love.

If you feel that same way about learning, then listen up.

Don't know (or pretend to know) much about saws, but I'm learning. However, I helped build a Fortune 500 and made my livelihood managing innovation so I know a thing or two about that.

Some of you seem to think that inventing something new or developing a new way of doing a thing is innovation. LOL, guys, that's just a small part of it. Innovation is a process that, once started, MUST be followed to its' logical conclusion.

Over time some of you tried to stop the process at a point you judged to be in your best interest, and the process you started has carried on without some of you even knowing it.

Once unleashed, innovation is a process you must learn to manage because you can't stop it no matter how hard you try. Try to stop it and become a dinosaur, or ride the wave and be the cutting edge.

I would strongly suggest you saw builders Google 'the process of innovation' and learn about the steps involved and their ramifications.

Tom, while not strictly related to porting, guys like mweba (and likely others, I just don't know who offhand) are working to use the AutoTune software to improve how the Husky AT saws respond after porting.

Although I do understand the AT system works fairly well at managing a ported saw, if there are more gains to be had by learning a little code, it's a good thing. People were afraid of EFI when it came around in cars, now the tuner chips make any backyard oil changer into a hot rodder.

No doubt there are people making the most of the available technology.

People have been bumping compression, modifying ports, advancing ignition timing, swapping carbs etc. for decades. There seems to be a notion that because there weren't youtube videos this never happened.

When did the Mac kartsaws first show up?

What's the oldest shop that was modding saws? Are they still around?

Has woods porting evolved or has there been a separate category created: modified for the purposes of racing in the woods port class at GTGs?

Taken from paccity's 8.5 thread.

Rayonier was pretty famous for having some hotrod saws in-house. One of their bullbucks back in the day worked with my grandpa out of Philomath. They had some real knowledgeable mechanics back then who were all about turning the saws up. I wouldn't be surprised if that motor has had a lot of work internally.

I'm guessing JJ's grandpa hasn't been on AS in the last few years. :D

No doubt there are people making the most of the available technology.

People have been bumping compression, modifying ports, advancing ignition timing, swapping carbs etc. for decades. There seems to be a notion that because there weren't youtube videos this never happened.

When did the Mac kartsaws first show up?

What's the oldest shop that was modding saws? Are they still around?

Has woods porting evolved or has there been a separate category created: modified for the purposes of racing in the woods port class at GTGs?

Mac kartsaws showed up in the early 60's maybe late 50's

Oldest shop I heard of porting saws was Ace Morgan's in Coos Bay, Oregon.....late 60's or early 70's. He died off years ago.

I think the early saw racing days started the modding of regular works saws out west IMO. It was the early 70's when I started fooling around with the evolutionary muffler mods and sanded ports!......Hahahahahaha!

Mac kartsaws showed up in the early 60's maybe late 50's

Oldest shop I heard of porting saws was Ace Morgan's in Coos Bay, Oregon.....late 60's or early 70's. He died off year ago.

I think the early saw racing days started the modding of regular works saws out west IMO. It was the early 70's when I started fooling around with the evolutionary muffler mods and sanded ports!......Hahahahahaha!

Did you guys ever try to increase compression or advance ignition timing?

Latest posts

Back