Woodsman 15x or Bandit 1590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesandsurf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in a unique position where I have two chippers and didn't exactly plan it to end up like this but needless to say I ended up with two. I've got a 2004 Bandit 1590 we've been using for two years. It has been a great machine, no major issues and chips really well. The autofeed never has worked but it's overall in great condition with low hours (500 approx.) and a strong 135hp Perkins engine.

I just had the opportunity to pick up a very nice 2006 Woodsman 15X for incredibly cheap with low hours (900 hrs, got it for 13.8K) in EXCELLENT conditions, hardly any evidence the chipper was used looking for the outside. The price was too good to turn down, but now I have two 15" machines. I'm looking at selling the Bandit and keeping the Woodsman, but thought I would get some insight from others who have more experience with the Woodsman chippers. I've run an 18XX that was just incredible, almost scary incredible and from what I've read the 15X is also a very impressive machine. The Woodsman also has a 135HP CAT engine, so the HP is exactly the same with both machines.

I should also say I had to buy the Bandit with a loan that I got a poor interest rate on and if I sell and get out even I could be in a much better position with the Woodsman. But like I said I've been extremely pleased with the overall quality and production of the 1590xp and I'm hesitant to sell. Any opinions on the Woodsman chippers would be much appreciated,

jp:D

I loved bandit, till I bought my Morbark. Two major companies in my area swear by the woodman, You got an awesome price on that one btw.

I have a 2010 1590 with a winch, 142HP Perkins Turbo Diesel..... Wow I still look at pieces going in sometimes and sit there in dis belief. in aww. I have chipped with a few morbark, Bandits and Vermeer but never a Woodsman, I have heard good things from one reliable source about the woodsman, but negative with the service from some dealers who will not sell them anymore?? Now If I wasnt a bandit guy, I would be a Morbark guy. But Vermeer NOT.. Just me. I am more than happy with my 1590 just wish they made a wider rim to pair with wider tire. Morbarks machines are very heavy so camparing a 18capacity to the 1590 you will be over 10,000lbs were as with the 1590 im still under 9000 lbs. Towing these machines matters too. if you have a full load of chips and your towing a MONSTER that's hard on your truck. I think most of the upper strength machines are pretty much all compatible it really is a matter of service in your area and your specific likes. for me I win all around with the Bandit 1590 ! :msp_sneaky:

I should clarify, I own a bandit 1590. I love this machine it's amazing. We've had nothing but great experiences with this chipper, it eats whatever we throw at it and keeps asking for more. I picked up a woodsman 15x for a great price, I would love to keep both but I can't seem to make sense of keeping two machines of the same size and class without running a second crew which I'm not interested in. I would love to keep both, but I will probably have to pick one. Hence the post....

jp:D

Bandit has been tried and true for years! What dealers are close by for service n parts is a question I would ask myself. You have both, use both and pick the one you prefer all I can do to help is give you years of positive feedback from my experience. So what is it they say in Hawaii. Maholo?

Woodsman sold out to Terex and now Terex has closed the doors on the chippers. It won't be too much longer that you won't be able to buy parts for those chippers. I would go with the Bandit or Morbark as their established companies.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

Back