Working on a pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tree service dropped off a couple loads of black locust. I didn't need it but it sure is nice wood. Worked on it yesterday for 4 hours, 5 hours today. I may have it all done except for the big pieces (to the right in the picture) from the butt cuts tomorrow.

locust_zpsnjsox6tp.jpg

It isn't splitting nice like locust usually does. I have to run the splitter almost full length due to strings. Very occasionally I have run into hard-to-split locust, sometimes one tree or a couple out of a grove. Once every three in the grove.

Still fun working it but it is taking longer than I thought. Started with a 20" bar on the old MS310. No good, bar too long to work on piled logs, switched to 16" with 3/8 chain. That works great. That old, old saw is still a workhorse, used to be my main saw, now it usually wears the 16" bar for bucking small stuff. Bought it new back when they first came out some 20 or 30 years ago.

That's a pretty pile. Just for fun I ran a few pieces through my planer and I've been surprised how long it has held the yellow color. I gave a planed block to a wood worker friend and he was going to make a custom bullet block, for reloading, out of it, Joe.

That's a pretty pile. Just for fun I ran a few pieces through my planer and I've been surprised how long it has held the yellow color. I gave a planed block to a wood worker friend and he was going to make a custom bullet block, for reloading, out of it, Joe.

B.L. has a very pretty grain. I've never seen a S4S board of it though. It checks so badly when drying I don't think they bother with it.

Farmers around me line up to get 2" thick green cut for trailer and wagon floors. Then they dump/spray boiled linseed on it. Seems to last a long time around here. Only a couple of milling guys will work with the stuff. Most aren't tough enough. LOL.

Farmers around me line up to get 2" thick green cut for trailer and wagon floors. Then they dump/spray boiled linseed on it. Seems to last a long time around here. Only a couple of milling guys will work with the stuff. Most aren't tough enough. LOL.
playfully calling a few guys out.... not bad guswhit...:rock::rock:

Back