would a chainsaw work if dropped in the water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The people who told stories of getting their saw knocked out of their hands by vine maple, and then the saw went in the river, are off for the winter. I'll have to remember to ask. I know they went in after the saw.

Now, does it matter that the river is full of glacial silt? :)
Depends lite, medium, or dark chocolate.

I spent a few hours in the wee hours of the morning extracting a Polaris Dragon from a river. Once we got it out we just pulled the plugs tipped it on its side and pumped about 3-5 gallons of water out of the engine put the plugs back in and it started on the first pull. First time this guy had sunk a sled but it was his third motor all still under warranty. Second sled I've had to pull out of the water. First one would have been fine if my friend hadn't tried to start it full of water. ended up splitting a dome on #3 cylinder. I knew it was bad when I saw coolant running out of the exhaust.

I think we all agree that a submerged engine can and will function once cleaned up a bit and restarted.

But this part, which appears to be coming right out of water and using, may be a little tough to believe. Does not sound like it was cleaned up, water taken out, etc.. How did he start it, or was it running when he came up from the water !! :givebeer:

he didnt start it on the commercial like i said he literally popped up from beneath the water and then started to cut a log but it was a stihl:greenchainsaw:maybe it was a 361.

my old suzuki trials bike had a flapper that would close if submeged and would then run off the remaining air in the filter housing.

not too long of course. A small air supply is all they need for a quick comercial.

a guy just gave me a mint mac 10-10 recently that was totaly covered in mud silt from flood.

He found it in a dumpster, It had been used about an hour since new.

turns over great but still dont have spark yet:)

I had my 2004 yamaha wolverine snorkeled. I could submerge it with nothing stickin up out of the water but my head and the snorkel elbow and leave it there until it ran out of gas if I wanted to. Lots of fun in soldier creek (local riding area).

Huskys love water!

preview.jpg

I got sucked off a low water bridge one chilly march morning in a toyota pickup....some where there is a picture of me standing on the roof in the middle of the river,taken by a guy floating past in a canoe.

Pulled it out with a winch,replaced every fluid in it,had it running the same day.

Ran like **** blowing white smoke for two days...ran fine after that.that was ten years ago,sold that truck to a farmer and last I saw it was still going!

he didnt start it on the commercial like i said he literally popped up from beneath the water and then started to cut a log but it was a stihl:greenchainsaw:maybe it was a 361.

It must not have been a 361, if it was, he would have just walked on the water.

I have started an ran a chainsaw that was previously submerged under water. The saw was a husky 272xp that I left in my truck overnight. The truck had bed liner and parked down hill. During the night a heavy thunder storm rolled through, no need to explain more.

The next morning I looked in the back of the truck and almost passed out. I grabbed the saw let the water run out off until it was only dripping. Luckily the exhaust opening was facing down, the saw was laying on the clutch cover.

No water exited the muffler. I pulled the saw over with no hydro-locking, then I started the saw and ran it for a minute or so.

If the piston stops in the correct place and the saw is oriented in the right position, it is possible to get away with running a previously submerged saw.

The cards are not in your favor though, I was damn lucky.

Pop out of the water, fire it up, and cut a log? Hmmmmm.

Let me tell you a story.
I was night fishing one time on Little Elm down in Texas. I accidently knocked the Coleman lantern off the boat, end of fishing trip.
The next year when the Crappie were running, I bought a new lantern and tried it again. After a little while I started reeling in one of my poles to check the bait and snagged something. I realed it in, and it was the lantern I had lost the year before, and it was still burning.

Ok.............You shut the saw off, and I'll turn out the lantern.

Andy

Latest posts

Back