Would this cause my saw to score the piston?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like this could have been handled in a different way. Here's Old-Cat's version. I'm not taking sides here, but both sides should be posted... In my opinion the Key words are in bold.

Hi Don, this will be my LAST ever message. Mr. subhunter is not going to be happy till he has smeared my name TOTALLY. So here's the facts of that transaction gone sour. He got an OE 346 cylinder with an excellent porting job for $200 and a correct Zama carb, $36 + his shipping. We both agreed that my work was not successful and I sent his saw back without charging the $110 balance.
In my view he sabataged his own saw and didn't tell me. A piece of the case gasket, about 1/8" was torn out under the cyl. base. He told me he tore it out himself unintentionally. I found it and put in loc-tite 518, FAIL #1. His pressure test video showed air escaping from that hole, so I told him so. That's when he admitted.
Then he claimed I told him to richen the carb to fix the air leak, not true. I told him it was possible to compensate for an air leak by richening the carb IF the leak was not too big, same as A/T carbs.
When I had his saw it was NOT running lean. In his video, it was obviously running lean.

OK, end of rant and end of old-cat. GOOD-BYE.
AND thanks for your friendship.

poor old-cat :( he annoyed me once in a while and i trolled him a bit but he wasn't bad at all. just fun to razz . hopefully he comes back.

I'm thinkin ole sub hunter has some splainin' to do..
And some other fellas may be a lil stunned at this point...

Seems there's always more details to be released.

this is why i don't believe anything i hear and half of what i see. i really don't give a **** what anyone on here says unless it's about saws. i sold my 346 OE to sub hunter and he was a real straight forward easy guy to deal with. he never told me who the builder of this saw was nor did i ask him. good guy IMO. i'm still making no assumptions and believing nothing i'm hearing though :D

I'm thinkin ole sub hunter has some splainin' to do..
And some other fellas may be a lil stunned at this point...

Seems there's always more details to be released.
Yup ........... VERY well said
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

To me, if the porter is named, it gives a chance for both sides to come out.
If the porter is not identified, the story and the details are as lopsided as a 3 legged elephant

Well I'm a little confused. Who paid for and who did the porting? It seems to me part of porting a saw should be putting it back together and having it actually run right... Torn base gasket??

Well I'm a little confused. Who paid for and who did the porting? It seems to me part of porting a saw should be putting it back together and having it actually run right... Torn base gasket??
Old cat could not (for what ever reason) get the saw up to 100%. An agreement was made and saw returned. See the bold part of old-cats message to me above.

I never wanted to smear Oldcat's name and that is why I never named him. We did make an agreement and I started this thread to try to help HIM understand about the air leaks and how that he is not perfect and he could mess a saw up. I am thinking he should have his memory checked because he did tell me to richen it. He also told me,in the beginning, he was going to" take this saw farther than any others". I see he was correct about that.

Admittedly I did make mistakes here also. The first one being taking a perfectly running 346{with a 350 top end} and wanting to put a ported OE346 on it. Yes it was running perfectly when it was sent.

~Cat was correct about the case gasket. He seen it himself. The small spot of case gasket was sticking up where the impulse area is and it was high so I took a razor and shaved it off with the case, only thing was it was a tad below the case after the shave. I am guessing that when I put the smear of sealant on the jug that it mashed into the spot and sealed it up.{How do you know?} Well I have learned that,for me, I have to do a vac/pressure test on these saws every time I take them apart to see if it is truly sealed because it doesnt take these things long to become roached with an air leak.

I cannot imagine that it was not leaking and extremely lean when he sent it back. I cannot believe that if he had of packed it full of that loctite that it would have been leaking like it was in the video with about 5psi air.

I do know that I run chainsaws weekly and listen to the tune and can tell if something isnt right. I also know that I Just bought my 9th {6 pack of mix oil} yesterday for this year. I have mixed 47 bottles of the 2.5 gallon mix {yes I save my receipts} to date in 2015. So I do run OPE fairly often.

SO anyone can think what they will. Friend me or hate me. I still love old cat the same and wanted to help him see the light.

IIRC what his signature said: Truth is the recognition of reality. Well to me the reality was he sent me my saw back with an air leak. He,most likely, ran it for 10 or so cuts with the air leak and didnt want to admit that. Then he sanded the piston down some and said " I am not happy with my work so I cannot give you a garuantee but here is your saw." Everyone here knows that an air leak can kill a saw within just 3 or 4 cuts if the tune is not right and especially with a drastic air leak. Obviously oldcat was oblivious to that knowledge.

Old-cat is not a bad guy, not a bad guy at all.
You are correct! I never said he was and still do not think that he is.We learn from mistakes and stand up. I do not want any thing else from cat or want to smear his name. BUT who here that ports saws would run it with an air leak, customer ask " Please just check for an air leak" to be told " I dont do that because I put my saws together purr-fectly { pun intented} and there is not an air leak".

I have ran 346's with huge air leaks in the past and they cook just like this one did for him with in minutes. He said 5 minutes of run time smeared the piston and he had to sand it down. I posted the pics of the piston with me not ever starting the saw and the scores were apparent. I only wanted to help him learn not burn. Isnt that what this site is about? learning and helping? Some one please show me where I have defamed him or really pooped on his name.... I dont think I have.

Like I said above I am not <well only a small bit} mad about it. Because this saw did run well 6 weeks ago and now it is a garbage pile.

Neither guy a bad guy. I've dealt with both and have found them to be stand up men.

This thread is the perfect example of how something started for informational purposes can spiral out of control and go all wrong. People interject their own opinions and it just goes all haywire. Then people defend their opinions and the entire vicious cycle starts again.

That's precisely why the builder wasn't named at first, or ever, by the OP until the info came out. The witch hunt for the guy is over.

The threads over for me as well. I feel bad for both involved to be honest.

Now one last thing. The spot that was torn in the crankcase gasket I actually did not even know about it. Old cat pointed it out to me. I cut it off with a razor last year when I first had to split the case to this saw. When I installed the top end I did pressure test it and found no leaks. That is why {I am assuming} that the sealant mashed into the spot and forced the seal making me unaware of it. I do not feel that I "sabataged his own saw and didn't tell me." He told me about it. I got it to seal the same way that I {assumed} sealed it to begin with.

As for this saw, the only thing left of it now is a bucket of parts. I split the case last night just like i have 5 others. Some reason it just didnt go correctly and the crank case busted. so now it is worth its weight in scrap and the good parts that came off it.

Some may hate me some may like me but in the end I still say I am not an evil person. I am not mad at Lynn or anyone else. But I don't like to be fed rubbish when I knew from the beginning,by his description to me, the saw had a air leak. If someone wants to take money for this type of thing then they should be able and willing to check for air leaks and if a person wants them to do that then they should,by trade, feel obligated to perform that test. That is what I wanted him to do but he didnt and that was the cause of this whole thread.. Dont you see?

The thread is over for me now too.. Have a good day and be safe

You are correct! I never said he was and still do not think that he is.We learn from mistakes and stand up. I do not want any thing else from cat or want to smear his name. BUT who here that ports saws would run it with an air leak, customer ask " Please just check for an air leak" to be told " I dont do that because I put my saws together purr-fectly { pun intented} and there is not an air leak".

I have ran 346's with huge air leaks in the past and they cook just like this one did for him with in minutes. He said 5 minutes of run time smeared the piston and he had to sand it down. I posted the pics of the piston with me not ever starting the saw and the scores were apparent. I only wanted to help him learn not burn. Isnt that what this site is about? learning and helping? Some one please show me where I have defamed him or really pooped on his name.... I dont think I have.

Like I said above I am not <well only a small bit} mad about it. Because this saw did run well 6 weeks ago and now it is a garbage pile.
I've been here long enough to see threads like this never end well. Even when the builder isn't named, people figure out who it is pretty quick. I do see where both of you are coming from, but feel it should have been handled in private.

t should have been handled in private.
Tried that and kept getting " ~ It does not have an air leak! It is scoring the piston because of a bad refurbished cylinder. Here is your saw.Hope it runs a long time for you"

He never would agree or see it had the leak or that the piston is even "scoring". It was "smearing" because of the previously scored jug. Untrue.

Latest posts

Back