Would You Climb This One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Towable boom lift can be pushed into a tight spot. We rent 46 feet with 2 knuckles and a jib for around $200/24 hours. Ought to be able to justify that in the bid and use the lift on something else in the afternoon. Biljax/ nifty lift, Genie lift etc. 2" ball to tow.

I can't even immagine contemplating climbing this one. Sombody's joking right?

Mike Maas said:
The 10% rule has me interested. I've heard of various thumb rules before, but that one sounds like a thumb up the a$$ rule. LOL! :dizzy:

It's not the thumb, but the head!

Climb020 said:
Need more info than that as well as more pics of that hollow. How high do you need to climb it? What are you intending to do to the tree? How much of the tree is hardwood at it's weakest point? A general rule of thumb is 10% of hardwood to be safe to climb but also differs by species as well as other things.
Ill see if i can find some more pics.
The tree needs to be climbed high enough to piece the top out.
The hollow in the pic is actually the smaller of two large cavities.

Mike Maas said:
Unless Woodchux is a complete moron, the thread is a joke. Even with a safe tie in, there's no way this tree is safe to climb. It's ready to implode on itself just standing there. One good chomp from an ant and it's comming down.
The thread is not a joke. I was curious who here would take the risk and who would side with safety.
The cavity is actually worse than the the pictures show. However, The tree is not dead, and still had leaves a month before the pictures were taken.

woodchux said:
Consider that the client is an elderly widow on a very limited income.
Risk your life cause of that? If you really care about her funds and your butt you can get someone (like say Asplundh guys after/during work) with a bucket to come by and just rain it down. 15 minutes max, from arrival to gone, dial yourself right out of it, clean it up for a few bucks. Couple of cases of beer, whatever for the bucket slug, make it happen, be smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
ORclimber said:
A solo climber died in Lake Oswego about a week ago. The top 10 feet of a decayed cottonwood broke out, and the guy fell 70 feet. OSHA said it was the climbers fault for not doing proper tree inspection.:(
I hate to hear about incidents like that. I have to wonder what he was doing in the top 10 feet of a rotting cottonwood.

ROLLACOSTA said:
Woodchux you should be able to answer the question yourself! if you can't decide if the tree is safe to climb or not, then imo you need more experience..

I hear a lot of you guys talking about being an ARBORIST,you don't or shouldn't need to be an arborist to decide if a tree is to dangerous to climb or not!!

I've got plenty of experience. I know what/how I would deal with the tree. My question was "would YOU climb it?"

Yes I would climb it using floating false crotches. There looks like there is at least 2 objects in the same plain as the tree to work in. I have seen guys tie into chimneys on houses using false crotches to do what they had to. Great thing about this job is you can be so creative in both your climbing and your rigging.

Whoa......

If you don't have a bucket truck, let this one go..... In our careers one mistake is all it takes. My rule of thumb is, if you can SEE through it, don't climb it (JUST KIDDING). Crane or bucket only. I don't know about you, but my life is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

Mike Maas said:
The scary thing is the original poster hasn't posted since the day after he started this thread, when Climb020 said if it has 10% of its wood, climb it.

Lol, before i scrolled down and saw Woodchux's post I was "OMG he's(Mike) right" and started thinking the worst.

Whichever way you attack it mate, keep your safety number 1 priority, if you feel you can't do it, walk.

Climb or Not to Climb???

After reading all the responses,some good others questionable,....Me...No!!
Merry Xmas to All

Nope on climbing this one for me. The risk is not worth the reward. According to Mike Mass "bucket trucks ruin good climbers". Just because an individual is physically capable of climbing a tree does not mean that every tree should be climbed. Climbers work from the inside of a tree out which is good for pruning/trimming. Buckets work from the outside in which I believe is great for removals. Testosterone often gets in the way with this occupation. It is my opinion that trees, like this, and big nuts will eventually ruin a physically good climber, permanently.

Back