Would You Climb This One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodchux said:
The thread is not a joke. I was curious who here would take the risk and who would side with safety.
The cavity is actually worse than the the pictures show. However, The tree is not dead, and still had leaves a month before the pictures were taken.

I could safely remove this tree without large machinery, but my first choice would be a bucket.
What I'd do is get ropes in it and pull on it to make sure it's strong enough. Then I'd guy the tree as high as I needed to climb, and use throw line to break the top apart.
Once it was down to a guyed spar, and no more could be broken off from the ground, I'd climb to where the cut needed to be, guy the tree again at that point and remove the upper guys and let the top go, climb down and drop it.
We'd probably charge about $175 to get it on the ground with a bucket (I think that's our minimum charge).
Without the bucket, the price would be at least double.

Risk your life cause of that? If you really care about her funds and your butt you can get someone (like say Asplundh guys after/during work) with a bucket to come by and just rain it down. 15 minutes max, from arrival to gone, dial yourself right out of it, clean it up for a few bucks. Couple of cases of beer, whatever for the bucket slug, make it happen, be smart.

BUCKET SLUG!!! I like that!!!!! has a nice ring to it... better than bucket baby!!!!!! the three "BEES" bucket truck, bomb the tree, beer when your done... works for me....no clean up????? dream job for a slug like me!!! LOL

climb, hows the new gig???

Last edited by a moderator:
BUCKET SLUG!!! I like that!!!!! has a nice ring to it... better than bucket baby!!!!!! the three "BEES" bucket truck, bomb the tree, beer when your done... works for me....no clean up????? dream job for a slug like me!!! LOL

I remember people calling guys in the bucket "bucket slugs", easy to say till you have ran a trim saw all day, flipping out hangers, avoiding lines, etc. It ain't as easy as it looks. Anyways, good idea or what?

I would set a pull line with a throw rope, and break out top with rope come-a-long or GRCS. If this is not an option, then use a bucket to bring it down. If service is in the way- get service dropped. If the owner is retired/ disabled/ elderly then work out payment plan- I know I would- even 5.00 a week would have me sleeping better.:cool:

climb, hows the new gig???

Going pretty good. Did lightning system Wed., some ROW work on THursay then a little bit of everything yesterday. Took down a pretty big silver maple. Mark took a pic. of it, so I'll send you it as soon as he gets it to me. Let Pepper know I'll bring in clothes on the first rain day and just send my check by mail. Have a nice trip???

will do on the pepper thing... trip was ok.. nice to see everyone....gonna start flying again....these 12 hour road trips are killing my back....airports have become such a pain in the a$$...but, i think thats the way to go in the future!!! talk to you later!!!

doggone, you are on the right track, if there's no bucket access. No way would any sane person climb that tree if there's no suitable tree or trees to work out of. Mike, guying is always good, but will do no good if the tree were to collapse underneath you, now would it?

by the look of the pics id tie in to the phone line if i had 2. im thinking crane/bucket/lift if you can get 1 or the other in. if not i would not take the job and let some hero do it.lol. o ever hear of a sky hook or maby a 40ft ladder. yeah right lol lol lol

Last edited:
I bid a cottonwood removal the other day and have since been tossing the correct (safest) way for removal. At once it was a multi stem all but the remaining have been removed the removed bases have rotted out the center of the stem left. At the base of the tree you can see where it is starting to buckle. There are no signs of decline in the tree other than obvious buckle and rot. Could I spike it and piece the tree down or should I err on the side of caution and just get a lift?

Back