WTF is this poo on my tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdmp22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok, so last year my tree developed these really weird shapes on the branches, looked like someone had a poo fest and threw the bits into my tree, the stuff was Brown/black in color.

As the tree was pretty overgrown, including branches weaved into my phone and cable lines, I gave her a good trim and cut out all the affected branches.

This year it redeveloped the poo, not as bad, but definitely the same issue. This time though the poo is more whitish. Since I have new found friends here on AS, I figured I would ask and try and figure this out.

Here are the questions......

1. What kind of tree is this?
2. What is the poo like substance?
3. How do I fix the tree?
4. Depending on 3., will I need my Stihl and the words "Timber"? :)

Thanks in advance.....pic bomb charging..........................

Pic bomb launch..............

THE TREE

IMG_20110711_183548.jpg

IMG_20110711_183538.jpg

THE LEAVES

IMG_20110711_183600.jpg

THE POO ON BRANCH

IMG_20110711_183612.jpg

CLOSEUP OF SAID POO

IMG_20110711_183634.jpg

it's an ornamental Cherry, for some reason I ALWAYS draw a blank on the name. The "poo" is a fungal disorder called Black Knot. Google it, the bottom line, pruning and a specific fungicide (Thiophanate Methyl) is the best way to reduce the knot formation. Only trees in the prunus family get it.

it's an ornamental Cherry, for some reason I ALWAYS draw a blank on the name. The "poo" is a fungal disorder called Black Knot. Google it, the bottom line, pruning and a specific fungicide (Thiophanate Methyl) is the best way to reduce the knot formation. Only trees in the prunus family get it.

The poo is definitely black knot, thank you for that.

It seems there are lots of different "ornamental cherry" trees, from what i could find on google, they all had flowers, my tree has never flowered or fruited........Is that from the Black Knot? Are you sure its an ornamental cherry?

thanks....rep incoming

Back