yarding downhill with a yoader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainsteep

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like I will have to learn downhill yarding sooner than i thought, The mill dose not want to build a road across the top of the job we have been doing so i was looking for tricks to do this. Would you keep the skyline high in the air so the turn was suspended in the air to keep them from banging around and getting out of controll,or low to the ground and drag them down the hill for some controll.

It depends

Allways hang You're skyline with plenty of lift, don't rely on the friction of the logs on the ground to hold You back, You should be running a haulback line to hold the riggin back as You skid them in and You will have to have one anyway to haul the riggin back up the hill right, I have downhill logged here in oregon under swingyarders, but not with a Yoader, do You have drums for a skyline, skidline, and haulback? Also a good riggingslinger will do You good. Alot can go wrong downhill yarding and by having the butts too close to the ground You take alot of risk upending one or breaking chokers, and it all rollls downhill, on the other hand suspending too much adds alot of uneeded tension on Your'e riggin and lines, and a loss of control.

Alot depends on the terrain

How You go about it depends on the ground Your;e working on, if You were nearby I'd come give You a hand, since Iusually just put in a 6 hour day, and at times I miss working with a yarder side, and the challenges that come with it.

Allways hang You're skyline with plenty of lift, don't rely on the friction of the logs on the ground to hold You back, You should be running a haulback line to hold the riggin back as You skid them in and You will have to have one anyway to haul the riggin back up the hill right, I have downhill logged here in oregon under swingyarders, but not with a Yoader, do You have drums for a skyline, skidline, and haulback? Also a good riggingslinger will do You good. Alot can go wrong downhill yarding and by having the butts too close to the ground You take alot of risk upending one or breaking chokers, and it all rollls downhill, on the other hand suspending too much adds alot of uneeded tension on Your'e riggin and lines, and a loss of control.

Right on. You need a 3 drum machine and a good yarder engineer too. It helps to have a flattening of the slope down by the yarder so the logs will slow a little bit. I don't know the mechanics, but there can be a problem with yarder engineer coordination if the drums have to be regulated at the different speeds by the engineer. I think that is when there is no drum interlock? Help me, we learned this a long time ago....The yarder engineer on the Westcoaster yarder had to work in the brush while downhilling as he couldn't coordinate things.

You will tend to damage more of the standing trees so it is best to do this in the fall or whenever the sap quits running so much.

Expect your production to be cut in half.

Need a haulback.

Or, a road to the top.

Or, a new carriage, the kind (teleforest)? that propoels itself on the skyline, but is supposed to be questionable at best, lower payload, and eats up skyline, probably pricey, but it might be a nice addition to a (probably) 2 drum yoder.

Self propelled?

Do You have a link where a guy could see a picture of that. I''ll bet it would be hell on a skyline, and probably use a little extra fuel.

no it has 3 drums, why cant i put the skyline up like normal(other than up hill) put a snatchblock in the spar tree run the skidline through it than put the carriage on backwards so it still pulls slack than let graviety take it down the hill(only have 100 yards or so we would have to do)to the road.

You could do that!

That's pretty short yarding You could do like You mentioned, and in theory that would work as long as You don't have to pull to hard or have heavy turns. If it was me I think I would go ahead and set up some kind of a haulback for it, or try running run it like You mentioned then if You need to run a haulback and go that route, that short of yarding it's too bad You can't get a cat or a skidder in there, I can see where You would'nt want to invest too much time in setup, is it just one road?

Just finished a nasty little downhill block, short pulling, out only about 800 - 1000 yards. The sky was out, but only as a snap guy at the front. :greenchainsaw:

We had plenty of deflection, and so I used what us Kiwis call scab skyline. The tailrope, oops, I mean the "haulback," runs out from the yarder, it goes through a block which is attached by a short chain to the middle of the rigging and out to the backline, then back to the rigging. Applying the brake on your haulback provides lift. I think you guys call it the gravinski or something.... :confused:

Works a treat, plus makes for easy shifts if you aint mobile on the backline.

Ya just need to keep a little extra pressure on yer hb, and throttle off as you are coming in to the landing.

Simple as.

http://www.teleforest.com/english/index2.html

got to love some of the ingenuity out there though.... them NZ can be so wonderfully positive.

I thinknthere ius more than one type of this thing, and I don't think its too highly desireable, and it sounds like the captain is going to figure out a better way. Good luck!

Today we took the skidder put 250ft of cable on and went to the top(kind of nice running the skidder again)back over the top as far as the old girl dare go without chains on, and started cutting thumpers and skidding to the landing, work allday by the end of the day we could see joe(excavator)on the road below, so i think it wont be as bad i thought,maybe 100 yards at max.if all goes well, put some pics on tomorrow,will see what happens, oh and thanks everyone it great to come here and talk to you guys.

yes going to drop them down the hill to the road and get them bv the tops, see what kind of mess we can make. let you know what happens.

Launching, eh....

That must be like chasing the tree off the stump so hard, by the time it hits the ground, the holding wood had got sawed clean orf! :hmm3grin2orange:

"larnching"eh?i like that,i always refer to sending one down the steeps as a "dispatch"as in the train has left the station!lol :clap:and of course you always install a "flying dutchman"on all "southward bound trains!"haha

Last edited:
Back