yarding downhill with a yoader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the evil days of doing away with the last of the old growth, we'd watch from a distance, fallers (I think they couldn't help themselves--just too tempting) launch trees off our rocky cliffs. We should have chewed them out, but it was also fun to watch. There wasn't much left of the tree after landing. :monkey:

And there weren't many trees growing in the rocks to launch.

Back in the evil days of doing away with the last of the old growth, we'd watch from a distance, fallers (I think they couldn't help themselves--just too tempting) launch trees off our rocky cliffs. We should have chewed them out, but it was also fun to watch. There wasn't much left of the tree after landing. :monkey:

And there weren't many trees growing in the rocks to launch.

It's a blast! By choice I only did it with junk timber...snags, rotten cull, limby and cobby junk. If a guy is busheling, he does not want to throw big scalers off the mountain, unless he is an air scaler, aka. thumber:mad:. Funnest I ever had with this was in LaGrande Oregon on some helicopter ground...Launched some snags and cull trees off about a 200' bluff...it was sweet! Have had a lot of nice timber in Southeast AK Growing in the bluffs where you just fall it and hope for the best, as far as saving it out.:cheers:

I once "launched" an old growth fir off the back end of a down hill slackline show on the upper East fork of the Humptulips. Stove pipe pass if you're familiar with the area. Anyway it was interfering with my waste line and the FS wasn't so particular in those times about falling a tree outside the unit. It was about 5 foot and fairly tall. It done a complete upender in the air before it ever touched ground. Butt was the first thing that touched and it was so steep it sort of slid down the hill instead landing hard. Saved out to the bud.
Would have made cool film. Alas no record.

Latest posts

Back