Yarding Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, i've learned the hard way too many times that sometimes it's just best to keep your mouth shut... did i just shoot myself in the foot?

But you could be one of the few that picks up his brains, no joke here at all. I don't care how old you are, be a logger or a faller. If your not up to snuff on basic safety sh!t I will tell you to get it right. I don't care if I have to be the prick after you insult me for trying to keep you safe. It's not an ego thing, or "I'm right" thing, just they way it is. If the state shows up, they'll crawll up everyone's ass when threre is obviouse violations on hand. I would just throw a hat at him when he looks up from un hooking a turn.

But you could be one of the few that picks up his brains, no joke here at all. I don't care how old you are, be a logger or a faller. If your not up to snuff on basic safety sh!t I will tell you to get it right. I don't care if I have to be the prick after you insult me for trying to keep you safe. It's not an ego thing, or "I'm right" thing, just they way it is. If the state shows up, they'll crawll up everyone's ass when threre is obviouse violations on hand. I would just throw a hat at him when he looks up from un hooking a turn.

My uncle taught me to fall. He also taught me to log. That was a lot of years ago. He used to yell a lot and one day I'd had enough and told him I was getting tired of it.

His reply? "When you quit screwing up I'll quit yelling. You either do things right in this business or you won't last. Besides, I'd rather piss you off than pack you out".

It made sense then and it makes sense now.

My uncle taught me to fall. He also taught me to log. That was a lot of years ago. He used to yell a lot and one day I'd had enough and told him I was getting tired of it.

His reply? "When you quit screwing up I'll quit yelling. You either do things right in this business or you won't last. Besides, I'd rather piss you off than pack you out".

It made sense then and it makes sense now.

Exactly. I was broke in the same way. Do it in accordance with what will

1. Keep you safe
2. Save the timber out
3. Make it log good

I'm cutting with a guy that is 20+ years older than me, falling 80% of his trees under the lean. The dominant and co-dominant is growing to the SE, the hillside runs East/West. I've tried to show him some easier ways to cut from the other side, but he won't do it. My Dad does not think much of him as a faller (I value his opinion and judgement, he is well respeceted), that is enough for me combined with cutting him out once or twice a day and seeing how he butchers beautiful export logs. Some people cannot get it, some do. Atleast he's always two tree lengths from me, no matter where we are, I like that.

The guy with the camo hat on still does a lot of yelling at his son. He's one who fell a lot of old growth, and knows how...he gets calls from other loggers and the Forest Service when there's a toughie to fall. He wears a hardhat then. :)

Interesting conversation today. I told the guy there were comments about no hardhat. He looked at me and said, well, just tell em it blew off. Then, oops, I was wearing this cap wasn't I. The step landing is working and the Skagit is too. I'll try for pictures tomorrow. I have to go wade through some brush up there to mark some corridor trees first thing in the morning. Nope, I didn't miss them. The logger said they'd be OK. Now that the line is strung through, looks like they won't. That's the way it goes.

Here's the landing. Yarding had not yet commenced for the day. They were recovering from rigging up the tail tree.

attachment.php

Here's the start of rigging up the tree using a ladder. Supposed to be much easier than using climbing gear. But, the rigger got clonked in the head by the strap..we later raided my brand new first aid kit for aspirin. (Could've been a That's Why We Wear Hardhats Moment) and his dad did a dandy slip on the log (A That's Why We Shouldn't Forget Our Calks moment) and did a flip up in the air, landing on his backside in the brush. I scored him high but docked him for not pointing his toes. He's sore but OK. We only tease after it is determined the faller (which is usually me) is going to be OK.
attachment.php

If this had been on TV, there'd have been steady Bleeps. I even uttered one when the tumbling act was in progress.
attachment.php

Now the rope is fed through so the line can feed through. I think they were going to use a big oldgrowth to tie off on. There's some that are handy. The bark is thick so it doesn't hurt the tree.
attachment.php

I brightened these up as much as possible. It is difficult to get good lighting this time of the year.

A ladder? Well, I guess it beats somebody standing on your shoulders with their calks on ala AxeMen.

They couldn't get the shovel up there and raise the guy up that way?

Last edited:
Yea, That sounds like a heck of a labor saver packing a ladder around through the woods and two guys to hang a lift block. I would have broke your camera before I let anyone see that. Logging sure ain't what it used to be.

Yea, That sounds like a heck of a labor saver packing a ladder around through the woods and two guys to hang a lift block. I would have broke your camera before I let anyone see that. Logging sure ain't what it used to be.

They swear by it. The ladder was tied to the tree. The younger guy went bounding off down into the brush with it. They do have climbing gear for going higher, but have used the ladder method for years.

Ladder! Ladders are built to place against a flat surface, and trees are generally round. That little detail right there caused me an insufferable annoyance once. I won't go into a lot of detail, but I was glad there were no cameras present.

He tuned the Skagit up. He put new points in and it doesn't backfire and runs pretty good. He was feeding out the skid line by hand. It seems to go to a point and will quit spooling out.

attachment.php

Back