Yarding Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To The Scrapyard

A slow death begins for the old Skagit.

attachment.php

I see better machines then that being cut up for scrap every day. Recently with the price of scrap they are walking equipment right off the lowboy to be cut up. That's right still running. I expect there won't be many old yarders left in the near future if not already.

I know there were a bunch of old yarders sitting up on the Clearwater. All gone now. One I worked on had an alder about a foot through growing up between the drums last time I saw it. It was a big machine. No use for them kind now. I remember the haulback drum would spool 10,000 feet of inch haulback. Skyline drum 4,800 feet of 1 1/2. 199 Skagit

I worked on and around two BU199 Skagits one built in 1974 the other in 1976. They would spool 2600 feet of 1&1/2 skyline, 3400 feet of 1" skidding line, and 5-6000 feet of 1" haulback depending if you wanted to mound it up as you ran out of drum at just over 5000 feet.
We were logging old growth Redwood and Douglas Fir in Orick and Klamath, California. Both machines are gone now.

Back