Yellow Jacket teeth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great report ????

They may be replace able in a Minute unless you actually torqued them tight enough so they wont vibrate loose during a cut otherwise dont get caught with out at least a 5Lb hammer and a sweat band!

further if you torque them to where the problem is reduced the threads pull out of the keeper nuts or the bolts stretch. carbide is so thin that more than 3 sharpenings render the teeth useless

sorry for the rant

What machine are you running the Rhino teeth on? I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned yet. How many ft. lbs. are you torquing the bolts to when the threads strip or bolt stretches? How many teeth have you had get loose?

What other teeth have you been using that you get more than three sharpenings out of? I've used Pro Series, Sandvik, Multi-Tip before the Rhino, got about three on each of those. Do you sharpen your teeth every day?

Interested to know what's going on in your case.

Stumper63

What machine are you running the Rhino teeth on? I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned yet. How many ft. lbs. are you torquing the bolts to when the threads strip or bolt stretches? How many teeth have you had get loose?

What other teeth have you been using that you get more than three sharpenings out of? I've used Pro Series, Sandvik, Multi-Tip before the Rhino, got about three on each of those. Do you sharpen your teeth every day?

Interested to know what's going on in your case.

Stumper63

Carlton 7015
I tried using the 50 ish ft lbs with the pipe that was supplied and then I checked the torque with my Snap-on Torque Wrench this was no where near enough the harmonics caused the the teeth to vibrate loose constantly even when the torque was systematically increased by 10 Lbs Ft. until I got to about 120 which is nearly 2.5 times the rated torque of that size bolt! the system is unsafe in its current configuration!

I use the alpine machine green wheel on a 4 1/2 dewalt rechargeable grinder and yes I sharpen my teeth every night and I usually get 40 ish sharpenings I also took part in the testing of this new system I ground 2500+ stumps last fall with it! I was sold on his enthusiasm and the fact that every time he talks he says he uses the words "Fanominal" or "Gunna Change everything" or "this is amazing!" the product does not meet the enthusiasm. if you are having results counter to what I was I am happy for you. But, I switched back to a system that truly gets it done! Every one compares themselves to Sandvic ...... who does Sandvic compare themselves to ? no one because they don't have to. I'm sorry to use product plugs but this buzz needs to have the truth told and too many people are Wowing for all the wrong reasons!

this system is dangerous! nothing within a 100 foot Radius of the machine is safe Not Windows or Operators. too many topics for one thread And I just want to walk away I'm happy to have a system on my Grinder that works now and it AINT That system!

Carlton 7015
I tried using the 50 ish ft lbs with the pipe that was supplied and then I checked the torque with my Snap-on Torque Wrench this was no where near enough the harmonics caused the the teeth to vibrate loose constantly even when the torque was systematically increased by 10 Lbs Ft. until I got to about 120 which is nearly 2.5 times the rated torque of that size bolt! the system is unsafe in its current configuration!

I use the alpine machine green wheel on a 4 1/2 dewalt rechargeable grinder and yes I sharpen my teeth every night and I usually get 40 ish sharpenings I also took part in the testing of this new system I ground 2500+ stumps last fall with it! I was sold on his enthusiasm and the fact that every time he talks he says he uses the words "Fanominal" or "Gunna Change everything" or "this is amazing!" the product does not meet the enthusiasm. if you are having results counter to what I was I am happy for you. But, I switched back to a system that truly gets it done! Every one compares themselves to Sandvic ...... who does Sandvic compare themselves to ? no one because they don't have to. I'm sorry to use product plugs but this buzz needs to have the truth told and too many people are Wowing for all the wrong reasons!

this system is dangerous! nothing within a 100 foot Radius of the machine is safe Not Windows or Operators. too many topics for one thread And I just want to walk away I'm happy to have a system on my Grinder that works now and it AINT That system!

So what's going on different now than the first 2500 stumps you ground? Wear on the wheel? Something different happening on your machine? Just trying to wrap my head around the problem when it must have seemed good enough for 2500 stumps, otherwise you wouldn't have made the purchase and kept the product. Keith is very enthusiastic and I agree a product must stand up to the hype.

I have also ground with the Sandvik wheels, actually went through two of them on my last machine. Love the performance, was looking for a wheel that lasts longer when I switched to multi-tip, then Rhino. Got 1200 hours on a Dura Disk II before the welded pockets were worn out (the welds and sides of were eaten away), then got about 900 or so on the new Revolution wheel when it first came out, which was supposed to last way longer due to design changes. Anyway, how many hours are you getting out of the Sandvik wheels? Running the Revolution now?
When this multi-tip/rhino wheel gets worn out I'll have to decide which way to go again. Got about 1400 hours on it so far, should get a fair amount more out of it.

Stumper63

So what's going on different now than the first 2500 stumps you ground? Wear on the wheel? Something different happening on your machine? Just trying to wrap my head around the problem when it must have seemed good enough for 2500 stumps, otherwise you wouldn't have made the purchase and kept the product. Keith is very enthusiastic and I agree a product must stand up to the hype.

Stumper63

I ground about 500 stumps on a bad design wheel the owner felt bad told me that he had a better design and it was awesome >>>>???? so he sent it to me it sucked worse than the first one! I was committed at that point. The owner couldn't get me any type of replacement for 3 weeks and my season was nearly over So I muttled through with customer complaints The Owner gave me 30 excuses .... every thing from His foreman made a Mistake. to he said some Other grinder in So-cal was using the same design wheel for a year and a half and no complaints?I got sick of the Blame game All I knew is I was getting the Shaft! Further I can say if that So-Cal fellow didn't notice that two of the teeth were on exactly the same plane and the machine Thumped the ground like a pile driver Then that fellow #1 doesn't understand the harmonics of his machine, or #2 he is just drinking the Alpinekoolaid. I was forced to use it because I couldn't get a revolution for 5 weeks ..... so I used the bad wheel for the rest of the season much to my detriment, Customer complaints about Chips Every where No safe Place within 100 feet of the Machine Because the velocity that it slings chips off the end of that spoon cutter separates the big chips from the dirt and no manner of extra belting can cure this ailment it segregates the dirt from the wood chips! an unintended consequence to this ailment is also filling the holes back in is much more difficult because there is no dirt in the chips so you cant easily pull the dirt with a rake and a spade does not move the pile easily.... you need a pitch fork and 3 times as much time. I do the whole job the ground is ready to plant when I leave I have advertised this for 10 years! in order to make my jobs = my advertising it took Me 3 times longer

the Revolution .... I wore out my dura-disk as well in 1300 hrs with many pockets worn out! the revolution when using Long Short Teeth on the leading edge I have 800 hrs with 10 Keepers (@ $17 each) worn out but the wheel is in 97% still the addition of the Long Short tool teeth is the ticket!

Ask the owner if he is doing fine machining does he use a huge cutting Bit(tool) I already Know the answer. a bigger cutting tool means a bigger chip No exceptions! the gigantic spoons on one rotating plane is inefficient and doesn't cut half as well as a worn out Sandvic and further if you learn to sharpen the Sandvic teeth on the machine The Hippo teeth he is selling you will break you at the tune of $100's per week if you don't work very hard It was costing me $200+ per week in tooth bolt and keeper screw ups! the system is unaffordable unsafe and poor at best if Your customers expect a Professional end product!

I also have used proteeth on both of my machines. For many years. I switched to greenteeth yesterday. Main reason, Easy to resharpen. Only ground 1 stump so far. Extremely happy so far. Will know better tomorrow after an 8 hour day of it on oaks.

Alpine Rhino is good system....so far

I posted a question in early January about replacing my wheel on Vermeer 372 stump grinder. I had heard about Alpine Rhino and asked for comments about the system. Alpine is just down the road from me so I visited the factory. I was impressed with the operation and with Keith - the owner of company.

I purchased the Alpine Rhino. So far....using it a little over a month, it works as claimed - even better in some situations. It is lower cost, quicker, smoother and I save fuel and wear on the machine because of it. It has less teeth to wear out and it works great in rocky soil where I operate most of the time. I have yet to replace any teeth and I have cut 200+ stumps so far.

I don't know what happened with Fairbanks Stump but he sounds like an angry man with an ax to grind. Alpine offers a money back guarantee so what gives?

I found Alpine Machine (Keith) to be very responsive to all of my questions and he is willing to share his knowledge with anyone willing to learn. Alpine Rhino offers a money back guarantee.

Different people have preference to different wheels and they should go with what they like. I realize I have limited experience with the Alpine Rhino wheel system but so far, it is worth the money. Give it a chance, buy something else or shut up.

I don't know what happened with Fairbanks Stump but he sounds like an angry man with an ax to grind. Alpine offers a money back guarantee so what gives?

I found Alpine Machine (Keith) to be very responsive to all of my questions and he is willing to share his knowledge with anyone willing to learn. Alpine Rhino offers a money back guarantee.

Different people have preference to different wheels and they should go with what they like. I realize I have limited experience with the Alpine Rhino wheel system but so far, it is worth the money. Give it a chance, buy something else or shut up.

Yep I wouldn't say I have an Axe to grind But defiantly a Grinder Tooth If you don't Know what happened feel free to go back a few posts I believe I am very specific about what happened! and as to the Money back Guarantee I was told that that he would think about he has not given me a decision as he said he would by the first of March 2013...... I bought his DANGEROUS Wheel in August of 2012???????????? ...... and as to the Money back grantee I purchased one of His Stump grinders 3 years ago from a fellow in Tennessee off of Ebay because Kieth wouldn't give his money back either. You opened this can of worms as I have stated before I have more than enough Video Proof Financial documentation and years of experience with this guy Id be happy to share it with anyone!
yes Kieth is responsive and relatively Knowledgeable about grinding theory but he is a Salesman at heart and if you can ever get past the BS and Bravado you will find him to be Promoting him self! if you look at the evidence (that he defiantly doesn't gain through scientific Method) you find mostly counter to his assertions.

Give it a chance you say? I think over 2500 stumps is more than a fair chance and I did Buy some thing else The revolution by New River and yes it does do what it says it should and then some!

I'm curious to hear from anyone that's running Vermeer's new yellowjacket teeth.

I am currently using the "pro" tooth and I like it OK. Being able the have two usable cutting surfaces has alot of merit.

Right now it costs me $160.00 to replace all 28 teeth.

To switch over to the yellowjacket system is $550.00.

Bottom-line, was the conversion worth it?

Thanks guys!

Tom
I like greenteeth 1100's, lots of carbide, 3 cutting sides and cost $13.95 each 28 teeth....$392

I dont have a clue what Fairbanks problems are and really dont care. I have been running Multi Tip longer than anyone in the United States and worked with Kieth thru the development of that system. There were good changes and bad changes as it was developed but in the end Kieth made it a dynamite system. I also worked with Kieth on the Alpine teeth and went thru the aggrevation of bad sloder by vendors and various carbide changes, but in the end he resolved all those problems.

Developing new products does not happen overnight. I spent a good portion of my life in manufcturing of lawn and garden products and I can assure you no one in manufacturing will work harder than Kieth to continually improve his products.

I can also tell you if someone is unhappy with his product and can't get satisfaction there is more to the story than is being told.

Now some may read this and think there is payback going on but I assure you I pay full retail just like everbody else and that includes test teeth and wheels. I just appriciate a manufacturer who never stops improving product, making things better for there customers.

I cant say I have never had a bolt work loose on Multi Tip, but when I have i am crashing rock like a crusher. It would be interesting to hear the other side of the story. Kieth are you out there?

Last edited:
As everybody probably knows i traded my 2150 xp for a 2550 xp all hydraulic, love
it, and bandit is allways trying to improve it, they just put a counter weight on it when
i took it in for the new cutter wheel update,,,all at no charge.....

When i bought it the greenteeth wheel was on it and right after i bought it they switched over
to the revolution wheel, just my luck:cry:....i am running 900 series reds and very happy with
them, just wish i could find someone that would retip them, maybe by next year i can afford
to switch over to the revolution wheel, al i can say is if the revolution wheel is an improvement over the greenteeth then it is one hell of a system, kind of concerned about the teeth cost..

I liked the yellow jacket teeth on my old sc252 also, good system, so all in all i thinks it comes
down to personal preference, we all are looking for a better mouse-trap all the time, lot of variables involved, hp, etc...

Bob....:cheers:

When i bought it the greenteeth wheel was on it and right after i bought it they switched over
to the revolution wheel, just my luck:cry:....i am running 900 series reds and very happy with
them, just wish i could find someone that would retip them, maybe by next year i can afford
to switch over to the revolution wheel, al i can say is if the revolution wheel is an improvement over the greenteeth then it is one hell of a system, kind of concerned about the teeth cost..

Bob....:cheers:

Well Bob,
Even with my Dura-disk Once I started to sharpen my Teeth on the machine every night after work I cut my teeth cost to 20% of the year before! and I had sharp teeth every morning! ( making me pretty fast all the time!) my Annual tooth cost is rarely over 700 for the year and I make well over 8000 stumps a year turn into saw dust roots and all so if there is dirt and gravel You know I get into it! the only time honestly that I have to replace teeth is if I hit something I shouldn't have or after the teeth get sharpened 40+ times the tool shank gets thin and bends .... again if I hit something !

Jon
with the New Reveloution Wheel I expect to see the same tooth wear just the longevity of the wheel IS much greater I have a friend in Ohio with a vermeer SC1152 that has 3 1500 hr seasons on his right now! and it still looks Great!

Well Bob,
Even with my Dura-disk Once I started to sharpen my Teeth on the machine every night after work I cut my teeth cost to 20% of the year before! and I had sharp teeth every morning! ( making me pretty fast all the time!) my Annual tooth cost is rarely over 700 for the year and I make well over 8000 stumps a year turn into saw dust roots and all so if there is dirt and gravel You know I get into it! the only time honestly that I have to replace teeth is if I hit something I shouldn't have or after the teeth get sharpened 40+ times the tool shank gets thin and bends .... again if I hit something !

Jon
with the New Reveloution Wheel I expect to see the same tooth wear just the longevity of the wheel IS much greater I have a friend in Ohio with a vermeer SC1152 that has 3 1500 hr seasons on his right now! and it still looks Great!

Fairbanks Stump, You say you "sharpen teeth every night on the machine" I'm curious what setup you use to do that. I haven't found a wheel to put on my angle grinder that would sharpen carbide and when I physically hold my bench grinder with a green wheel it gets tiring quickly (and dangerous). Do you mind sharing?

Fairbanks Stump, You say you "sharpen teeth every night on the machine" I'm curious what setup you use to do that. I haven't found a wheel to put on my angle grinder that would sharpen carbide and when I physically hold my bench grinder with a green wheel it gets tiring quickly (and dangerous). Do you mind sharing?

I use a Diamond Agg Green Wheel that fits my 4.5 Dewalt Rechargable Angle grinder I am looking for a new supplier The place I used to get them Is either no longer in business Or changed their Phone number I cant get ahold of them .... if I find a new supplier Ill msg you currently Im still using the same wheel I started with 3 years later I just dress it with a ceramic constantly they literally last forever! Ive even used it to sharpen a buddys rayco teeth

sorry Im not more help!

Just bought my Sc252 and it has yellow jacket teeth on it. Been searching on line half the night trying to find somewhere to buy some more teeth and cannot find anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Hi Treepig,

You can only purchase them from Vermeer. I carry GreenTeeth which will give you 3 cutting edges. I converted 3 customers this week from Yellow Jackets to GreenTeeth. Two of the machines were SC252. You would need the 700 series for your machine and they're less expensive than Yellow Jackets.

Please let me know if I can help you.

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

I use yellow jacket teeth on my Vermeer sc60tx exclusively now. I used to use green teeth on my other machine. ever since I set up my angle grinder on-machine sharpening system, if the teeth can not be sharpened on the machine, I'll never buy it, for obvious reasons! I might look into a new wheel design in the future that uses fewer teeth though.

just found out that rhino (u can sharpen it on the machine) is over 2K for the wheel and 8 teeth assembly, and over 3K if u goes with theire new design.

Back