Yellowing Pin Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S&S

Reaction score
Hey folks I have several Pin Oaks on the same property that are yellowing, the Pin oaks across the street are dark green. Is this an iron deficentcy and what do you recomend.

Especially close up pics of the foliage. Interveinal chlorosis can be indicative of alkalyne soil. Iron becomes unavailable to the plant in high ph soils. A soil test will give a measure of fertility and ph value. With the analysis you can apply prescription rates of lime/sulfur and as well as fertilizer, if needed.

I thought Pin Oak chlorosis was from a manganese defiency. A Verdur injection is what I use and it works very well on pin oaks.

Soil Test!

You'll never know if the chlorosis is due to pH, or manganese deficiency unless you test the soil.

You also must check, as was said before, for soil compaction, grade changes, girdling roots, or overmulching.

If you don't take the steps to diagnose the problem fully, you're just taking a stab in the dark at the solution.

I thought Pin Oak chlorosis was from a manganese defiency. A Verdur injection is what I use and it works very well on pin oaks.

With pin oaks, it's usually iron and not manganese that causes the problems. That's why the Verdur works so well...it's iron citrate (no manganese).

Red maples are the bad ones about getting chlorosis from manganese deficiencies, although it can still be a combination of both.

The alkalinity causes both to be relatively unavailable once you get near 7.0.

Also, pin oaks do notoriously poorly on heavy clay...is it possible that yours were planted on "builder's soil" and the neighbor's were planted on top soil?

Regardless, SOIL TEST!

Latest posts

Back