Yet Another Boot Thread. Results of Steel Toe VS Non Steel Toe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never worn steel toed boots, too uncomfortable on a wide foot.

My BIL was in a serious industrial accident, a heavy auger fell over 20 feet and landed across both feet, it crushed the steel toes in the boot cutting off two toes on one foot and one toe on the other. It was a major hassle for the surgeons to get them removed from his feet, they basically had to grind them off. He was disfigured and cripple for life. You could not get him near a pair of steel toed footwear.

I guess you could say my first real labor oriented work was a summer gig on a commercial fishing boat, no steel toes allowed there since if you're crushed they're stuck on you for hours or days until you get help, I kind of figure thats sensible enough for me out in the woods too, it can be a pretty damn long ways to anywhere- I've only ever had one pair of steel toes and don't really miss them- yes, I can see the benefit at times or in certain trades, but I don't think I'm in one of them.

Quite simple in this country, if you want to work on most job sites, construction, manufacturing, warehousing, oil patch whatever, you wear steel toes with the green patch. And if you don't want to wear them, find a job in an office or someplace equally less hazardous. On the site I am now working add reflective Nomex clothing, gloves, glasses, hardhats and no facial hair except for mustaches. Watched them hand out razors to more than a few at the new hire safety brief I attended two shifts ago, interferes with respirator use.

And they now make plastic toes that meet the same standard for winter wear.....a lot of people wear them here in Alberta. And toecaps to fit wide feet are also available.

Last edited:
As Reagan said,scariest words in the english language, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

No one is forcing people to wear steel toes here, you have the option of working elsewhere where they are not required.

History shows individuals and corporations will generally not enable safe behaviour in most workplaces,(and elsewhere) thus regretably governments in advanced countries have to step in.

On a related topic, watched an interesting documentary on the Triangle Shirtwaist fire in NYC on TV this weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back