you bastids out cutn er what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
It sure has been dead in here. We finally got winter a week ago. Just in time for our "january thaw" comin 2mrw. Guna get cold after that tho. So what the hells goin on?

Somewhere without internet.

LOL...most of us that went camping are home again but I doubt very much if many of them will come back here. Can't really say that I blame them.

I'm not doing any cutting and probably won't be for quite a while. We lost most of the sale on our family ground to last summer's fires and wound up selling what was left to a chip outfit.
There wasn't much that would have made decent saw logs after the fire and the price was lousy anyway. We'll have to decide whether to replant or just sell the ground and get out of it entirely. There are people interested in buying it but the land has been family ground for several generations. We have other ground we can log but we hadn't planned on touching it for a few more years.
We did manage to do a lot of remediation before the rains started and so far....fingers crossed...the erosion from what has been the wettest winter on record has been minimal.
We'll see what happens this Spring when the snow and mud go away.

In the meantime I'm doing a lot of fishing. I've been cutting bait. ;)

Seems like its " or what" this morning.
Well I worked the last day of last year and the first day or this year so there's two good years right! One day into to the new year and one day worked and one job quit. Last year was a year to forget.
I bought everything, broke everything, lost everything and sold everything.
IDK I've been waiting for a Falling contractor to free up from remote management meetings for two days.(some of you guys know him from days gone by here) he has been doing exceptionally well on the coast and everywhere since the last lull in 2009. Anyway he got a bunch of Mountain Pine Beetle (MPB) Fall & burn jobs over the Rockies. I'm getting ready to take a chunk on contact. I have to buy another snowmobile and hire a block thrower/bucker. Getting my winch repair, getting my GPS repaired, both brand new when they broke of course. Gives me about $ 57 per tree after I pay my guy.Prime Contractor pays the fuels and camp or hotel in this case. Could be a good run, could go to April? IDK Hope I can get something concrete this morning or I will have to focus elsewhere.
January is go time here .

I'm still waiting to see if I try logging my place this winter or just wait until the ground's firm again next warm season.

Snow reports from my neighbors don't sound too bad, but we're going into a little cold snap and I have a bit of work left to do at home before I hit the woods.

LOL...most of us that went camping are home again but I doubt very much if many of them will come back here. Can't really say that I blame them.

I'm not doing any cutting and probably won't be for quite a while. We lost most of the sale on our family ground to last summer's fires and wound up selling what was left to a chip outfit.
There wasn't much that would have made decent saw logs after the fire and the price was lousy anyway. We'll have to decide whether to replant or just sell the ground and get out of it entirely. There are people interested in buying it but the land has been family ground for several generations. We have other ground we can log but we hadn't planned on touching it for a few more years.
We did manage to do a lot of remediation before the rains started and so far....fingers crossed...the erosion from what has been the wettest winter on record has been minimal.

My 2 worthless cents hang on to the ground, family ground is ground to run back too, only reason to get out of it is if the taxes are so high as to be an unnecessary burden.

Had things gone differently I'm sure I wouldn't be searching for new ground to call family ground... but that's the distant past and nothing to be done about it now but start over.

So you retired guys do fish?

Seems like its " or what" this morning.
Well I worked the last day of last year and the first day or this year so there's two good years right! One day into to the new year and one day worked and one job quit. Last year was a year to forget.
I bought everything, broke everything, lost everything and sold everything.
IDK I've been waiting for a Falling contractor to free up from remote management meetings for two days.(some of you guys know him from days gone by here) he has been doing exceptionally well on the coast and everywhere since the last lull in 2009. Anyway he got a bunch of Mountain Pine Beetle (MPB) Fall & burn jobs over the Rockies. I'm getting ready to take a chunk on contact. I have to buy another snowmobile and hire a block thrower/bucker. Getting my winch repair, getting my GPS repaired, both brand new when they broke of course. Gives me about $ 57 per tree after I pay my guy.Prime Contractor pays the fuels and camp or hotel in this case. Could be a good run, could go to April? IDK Hope I can get something concrete this morning or I will have to focus elsewhere.
January is go time here .
Keep on pushin and makin chips. Logs on the deck every day. Go home. Eat, ****, sleep, repeat. What else is there? ****in slammin big timber.

My 2 worthless cents hang on to the ground, family ground is ground to run back too, only reason to get out of it is if the taxes are so high as to be an unnecessary burden.

Had things gone differently I'm sure I wouldn't be searching for new ground to call family ground... but that's the distant past and nothing to be done about it now but start over.

I'd like to see it stay in the family. All of the net profit...in those rare years when there is any profit...goes into an educational trust for family members and some small scholarships for other people not related. When any of the family members wanted to go to college...including post graduate and doctoral programs...the money was there for them. They had to keep a certain GPA to keep the money rolling in but I don't remember anybody ever being disqualified if they were really trying.

Some of our younger family members, educated, city folk now, successful in areas far removed from their roots, have forgotten that it was the logging that paid for their college. They're the ones who favor selling out. I don't speak to them much.

I'd like to see it stay in the family. All of the net profit...in those rare years when there is any profit...goes into an educational trust for family members and some small scholarships for other people not related. When any of the family members wanted to go to college...including post graduate and doctoral programs...the money was there for them. They had to keep a certain GPA to keep the money rolling in but I don't remember anybody ever being disqualified if they were really trying.

Some of our younger family members, educated, city folk now, successful in areas far removed from their roots, have forgotten that it was the logging that paid for their college. They're the ones who favor selling out. I don't speak to them much.

Solid. I like seeing this tradition still alive, in spite of the millennial disconnect from the land.

If they insist, try and sell it to another logger at least, the city jerks don't understand what acreage means for a persons stability, both financially and mentally.

Back