You know you have CAD when......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packing material, there was a bunch of large diameter rope as well. The saws came from some fellows that had been building wooden barges.

Mark

I see. That's pretty cool that you got two super pro 125s in the batch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had not heard any history behind the SP105, I just assumed they wanted a slightly smaller version like the 72-80-87 cc version of the D-44.

I am sure in big wood cutting side by side you could easily tell the difference between the two, but in my limited usage and experience, I think they are pretty comparable.

IMG_3837.JPG

DSCN0233.jpg

Mark

When you go to a motorcycle fair and spend over twenty minutes at a booth selling old metal service shop signs looking for vintage Stihl signs because they'd look so good outside the shed where you keep your chainsaws.

For me, the Stages were -

1. I NEED A SAW. I moved to a new rental house with a lot of trees on the property, so I bought a new green Poulan 33 cc saw. It's cute and even cut down the occasional tree. Stage 1 lasted for 5 years.
2. I NEED A BIGGER SAW. Dad gave me the used Poulan P295 saw that I used to buck a lot of big oak trees that fell in the yard after Katrina. This Poulan is yellow and black; still cute, but able to do some real damage to the local tree population. Stage 2 lasted 6 years.
3. I NEED TO IMPROVE THE BIGGER SAW THAT I HAVE. I pulled out the P295 to cut a stump that was giving the 33 cc saw fits. However, the P295 is leaking oil and needs a new fuel line. So I completely disassembled it, of course. And ordered all new parts. The cost of the parts was more than it would cost for a new saw. And I'm ok with that. Stage 3 lasted 1 week.
4. I NEED A BETTER BIGGER SAW. I realized the Poulans I have are really not high quality durable saws. I decided that I needed at least one high-quality durable saw to replace the P295. So I bought a Stihl 038 Magnum off eBay. Stage 4 lasted 24 hours.
5. I NEED MORE BETTER BIGGER SAWS! I found Arboristsite. And realized that if I didn't want my man card revoked, that I needed to rapidly grow my saw collection.
5a. I NEED MORE BETTER BIGGER SAWS JUST IN CASE OF AN UNFORESEEN SAW EMERGENCY OR ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. Although the largest tree on my property is less than 2" in diameter, I decided that I needed a smaller saw for utility work, limbing, etc. So I bought a 028 Super AV from an Arboristsite member. And, since a 72 cc Magnum isn't the top dog in the saw world, I started looking for something larger. Stage 5a lasted 6 hours.
5b. I NEED MORE BETTER BIGGER OLDER SAWS! I realized that there are vintage, quality built, loud, environmentally unfriendly, unsafe, and somewhat expensive "muscle saws" that can be bought, tweaked, fondled, and perhaps pressed into service to cut wood one day. As someone addicted to musclecars, I can appreciate this. So I bought a Stihl 070, two Contra's, two 075's, an 07 S to feed my addiction. Stage 5b lasted 72 hours.
5c. I NEED TO MAKE SURE THE REAL WORLD DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH MY SEARCH FOR MORE BIGGER BETTER OLDER SAWS. My lovely wife, upon seeing a box arrive from the U.S. with a chainsaw in it, asked the most ridiculous question possible, "Another chainsaw? Don't you have two already? Why do you need another one?" I didn't want her to worry about me, so I didn't mention the other 7 saws that were en route to the house. And then I asked my neighbor to do his best to divert any further deliveries to his garage so I could sneak them into my garage when the wife wasn't looking. Stage 5c lasted 96 hours.
5d. I REALIZE THAT STIHL IS NOT THE ONLY MANUFACTURER OF BIGGER BETTER OLDER SAWS?!?!?! I realize that there are other manufacturers of quality chainsaws besides Stihl....I check my bank account balance and see that I have some funds available... Stage 5d could take a while...

You are a Stihl guy most of the time but can't pass up the Husq 141 on Craigslist for $45, supposedly not running for last year, sitting on a shelf. Get it home today and it started first pull with the cutoff switch set to START. Smokes like it's running 1:1, but it RUNS!!!!
358c876af43656a3fdedbe0b237370c5.jpg

029, 044, 066, 025

Latest posts

Back